who are pavements for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If there is a wonderful shared access path such as the one you mention then it is a perfect option.

I'm puzzled as to why you think its a perfect option. Before the magic blue signs were put up it would have been exactly the same bit of pavement in every way but not a suitable option according to you. They change the legality but they don't change the physical layout or the problems of interactions with pedestrians in any way whatsoever. So what makes one a perfect option and the other unacceptable when the actual pavement is identical?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm puzzled as to why you think its a perfect option. Before the magic blue signs were put up it would have been exactly the same bit of pavement in every way but not a suitable option according to you. They change the legality but they don't change the physical layout or the problems of interactions with pedestrians in any way whatsoever. So what makes one a perfect option and the other unacceptable when the actual pavement is identical?

The difference is that pedestrians now expect to share the path with cyclists. Also it is legal. I was brought up to respect the law and I have principles. Why is that so hard to understand?

rowan 46

Über Member
The difference is that pedestrians now expect to share the path with cyclists. Also it is legal. I was brought up to respect the law and I have principles. Why is that so hard to understand?

I don't think anybody denigrates you for being law abiding or having principles, but it's a little discourteous to imply that a person who doesn't follow the law has no principles. civil disobedience has had many unfair or stupid laws repealed. I break the law every week because as an englishman I am obliged to practice archery on the village green every sunday punishable by a fine of 6d or 1 week in jail. Its still on the statute books but never enforced. I consider cycling on an empty pavement the same and it appears so do my local police

Signing is so poor I bet most of the pedestrians don't have a clue whether its shared use or not.

So do you have clipless pedals on your bikes and do they have reflectors on them? And do you do your two hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the vicar, not eat mince pies in England on Christmas Day and pee in public only over your rear wheel with your right hand on the vehicle. Got to respect the law and your principles you know.;)

abo

I agree. I expect a cyclist weaving in and out of peds on a pavement to get a fixed penalty notice because they are causing a real nuisance. However if I got an FPN for riding on a completely deserted pavement I'd be furious for two reasons... I'm causing no harm to anyone... haven't the police got better things to do?

In that circumstance, if you're approached by a cop... just ride off :whistle:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Signing is so poor I bet most of the pedestrians don't have a clue whether its shared use or not.

So do you have clipless pedals on your bikes and do they have reflectors on them? And do you do your two hours of longbow practice a week supervised by the vicar, not eat mince pies in England on Christmas Day and pee in public only over your rear wheel with your right hand on the vehicle. Got to respect the law and your principles you know.;)

Yes the pedal inserts have reflectors. I am not English so the Longbow law does not apply. I hate mince pies and never eat them. I do not pee in public full stop. Anything else?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I take it the smiley means you admit to having no respect for the law.

No I mean I comply with the law by having pedals with amber reflectors.

Yes the pedal inserts have reflectors. I am not English so the Longbow law does not apply. I hate mince pies and never eat them. I do not pee in public full stop. Anything else?

Steer clear of Cathedral Close in Hereford or Chester on a Sunday then or us longbow practising Englishmen might decide to legally shoot you. Do you open your boiled eggs at the legal end and have you never ever been drunk in a pub?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Steer clear of Cathedral Close in Hereford or Chester on a Sunday then or us longbow practising Englishmen might decide to legally shoot you. Do you open your boiled eggs at the legal end and have you never ever been drunk in a pub?
Will do. I hate boiled eggs. I may have broken the pub law in the past but believe me I paid the price. As I am now TT it is a law I will never break again. Next?

rowan 46

Über Member
[QUOTE 1463329"]

And to respond to the point about reinforcing views, get to the bottom of it and you'll see that people only have problems with the idiots.
[/quote]

+1
thumbsup.png

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[QUOTE 1463329"]
Why should people have to? See quote from an undeniable genius-

Why should those groups (and others) have to mix with idiots on the road, when they can share space perfectly safely elsewhere?

We need to stop comparing bikes with road vehicles all the time. Yes, when on the road they're equal, but bicycles are so much more than that.

And to respond to the point about reinforcing views, get to the bottom of it and you'll see that people only have problems with the idiots.
[/quote]
If cycle paths are available then there is no need to ride on the road I agree. I agree the viewpoint stems from idiots but as has been discussed already cyclists are apparently becoming more hated by the day and the more ligitimate reasons we give people to hate us more fool us.

Top Bottom