Who are the most dangerous users of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Young drivers, especially men, up to the age of about 25.

:whistle:

srw

(Although you might just manage an argument that middle-aged drivers between, say, 40 and 60, dominate because of their sheer numbers and because they are driving the mid-life-crisis machines, but I wouldn't bank on it.)

Tin Pot

Guru
[QUOTE 4925109, member: 1314"]Don't want to derail the other thread and for personal and legal probs. Also because nobody else wants to start a thread about it.

Who are the biggest danger on the roads to others? I say it it is middle aged males.[/QUOTE]

Anyone below 30 years of age or above 60.

December 5th.

About as near as I can come to a sane/sensible answer, if you really do insist on making unevidenced assertions?

It's the second time today? Whatever happened to listening to, respecting, welcoming, and being thankful for (hmm - me pushing it a bit? Damn it, why not!) the myriad different expertises individuals bring to the forum?

And that's NOT saying "Shut up, the expert has spoken!" If you have evidence that is contrary to the point made by somebody sharing their expertise, in good will - for God's sake offer it. That way leads to debate. To deepening understanding. A shared journey in increasing knowledge.

But ...
[QUOTE 4925109, member: 1314"]Who are the biggest danger on the roads to others? I say it it is middle aged males.[/QUOTE]
... isn't particularly constructive? Revealing? Or informative (apart from we now know you are prejudiced against middle-aged males :ohmy:).

srw

Don't just believe me - here are some statistics.

1. Association of British Insurers (my bold):
"Young drivers usually pay much more for motor insurance than older, more experienced motorists. This is because drivers between the ages of 17 and 24 are much more likely to be involved in an accident and make a claim, so their premiums are higher as a result.

Young drivers account for just 12% of licence holders, but they are involved in 25% of all road deaths and serious accidents. One in five young drivers will be involved in a crash within six months of passing their driving test. Carrying passengers increases young drivers’ changes of being involved in a collision, with just three passengers almost tripling the chances of a crash."

https://www.abi.org.uk/products-and-issues/products/motor-insurance/young-drivers/

2. Be Wiser.
motor%20insurance%20-%20how%20rating%20factors%20affect%20your%20motor%20insurance%20premiums.png

https://www.bewiser.co.uk/knowledge...ow-rating-factors-affect-your-motor-insurance

Young drivers pay the most for their insurance because they have the largest claims and because they have the most claims ("frequency"). Both statistics are despite the fact that a typical young driver will be driving a car that is very cheap to run and repair, and despite the fact that they typically drive much, much lower mileages than the middle-aged, and despite the fact that young drivers are increasingly having black boxes fitted that monitor their driving.

3. National Statistics
upload_2017-8-20_20-52-53.png

Again, despite the fact that young drivers tend to drive less than the rest of the population they are involved in significantly more road accidents. And they tend to get killed or seriously injured far more than the rest of us:
upload_2017-8-20_20-54-14.png

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/556406/rrcgb2015-02.pdf

Back at the start of the 20th century, when actuaries started analysing mortality, everything was pretty predictable. Neonatal mortality was extremely high, child mortality high and young adult mortality extremely low - young adults are extremely robust. As the diseases of middle- and old-age (cancer, heart disease, infectious diseases) started hitting, mortality gradually climbed with age. Then, sometime in the 1920s and 1930s, the statistics started showing something surprising - lots of young adults, and especially young men, were dying unexpectedly. It took a while before they realised that it was accidents, usually road accidents, that were causing this spike.

Since then we have done a lot to improve road safety, and that's benefitted everyone, including the young. But after suicide (which, shockingly, is now the largest single cause of death for adults aged 20-34) it is accidental death - whether road accidents or poisoning (often by alcohol or drugs) that kills the young the most.

If I had teenage children the strongest piece of advice I'd give them to keep them safe would be not to get in a car driven by their friends.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
(Although you might just manage an argument that middle-aged drivers between, say, 40 and 60, dominate because of their sheer numbers and because they are driving the mid-life-crisis machines, but I wouldn't bank on it.)
I had a whole conversation about buying an XKR today. If 57 is my mid-life I'll be well pleased.

srw

Oh, and for completeness - yes, google helped a lot. But it's an awful lot easier to use Professor Google if you have some clue as to what you're looking for, and can tell the story you find in your own words rather than simply copy-and-paste.

If anyone believes that young drivers are really much safer than middle-aged men, here's an easy way to make loads of money. Find someone who agrees with you with a few spare million (£50m should do it) and invest it in selling motor insurance to the young. Because you think the young are such good drivers you'll easily be able to undercut and the market and so corner it, and you'll be raking in the profits. For the next 18 months or so, until Brexit, you don't even need to deal with the UK regulators and their tiresome prejudices against the young on the roads - find a soft regulator to get your firm licensed, and passport in to the UK. Romania, Slovakia and Bulgaria are pretty good bets for less sophisticated regulation. :okay:

Slick

Guru
I assume I have missed something and this debate started earlier in another thread. For what it's worth, I wondered why it was up for debate as the insurance premiums alone should offer all the clue you should need to answer your question.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Oh, and for completeness - yes, google helped a lot. But it's an awful lot easier to use Professor Google if you have some clue as to what you're looking for, and can tell the story you find in your own words rather than simply copy-and-paste.

If anyone believes that young drivers are really much safer than middle-aged men, here's an easy way to make loads of money. Find someone who agrees with you with a few spare million (£50m should do it) and invest it in selling motor insurance to the young. Because you think the young are such good drivers you'll easily be able to undercut and the market and so corner it, and you'll be raking in the profits. For the next 18 months or so, until Brexit, you don't even need to deal with the UK regulators and their tiresome prejudices against the young on the roads - find a soft regulator to get your firm licensed, and passport in to the UK. Romania, Slovakia and Bulgaria are pretty good bets for less sophisticated regulation. :okay:
Without wishing to get involved in the statsfest, and knowing when I am outgunned, isn't there possibly something interesting lurking behind CoG's question that is getting lost in the rush to be right? Something about the construction of masculinities that also lurks in the disturbing suicide figures you threw in above? I merely wonder aloud whether insurance risk is the most illuminating angle from which to approach the question; why young men being perpetrators and/or victims of violence on this scale is taken as a given; and why, if it's a property of youth as much as masculinity, middle-aged men can't be expected to grow out of it in a more convincing fashion?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Without wishing to get involved in the statsfest, and knowing when I am outgunned, isn't there possibly something interesting lurking behind CoG's question that is getting lost in the rush to be right? Something about the construction of masculinities that also lurks in the disturbing suicide figures you threw in above? I merely wonder aloud whether insurance risk is the most illuminating angle from which to approach the question; why young men being perpetrators and/or victims of violence on this scale is taken as a given; and why, if it's a property of youth as much as masculinity, middle-aged men can't be expected to grow out of it in a more convincing fashion?
The young get culled. Thus many of those who would make really reckless middle-aged men don't live to see that day?

That siad there are some horrid stats about born-again bikers which the insurers have started to get to grips with. "Good way to widow your wife and make an orphan of her children, mate" as one serving traffic plod advised a mutual friend.

And as we boys age testosterone levels drop and with it much of the macho nonsense drops too?

Top Bottom