Who are the most dangerous users of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
isn't there possibly something interesting
Quite possibly - although there's a risk of being diverted down the biological determinism route by someone who isn't thinking very hard. But that's one for another day and probably a different discussion. The question originated in a discussion of a young man currently on trial, so in that context, and in the context of CoG's OP in this thread, I think the statto saddo answer is the appropriate one.

young men being perpetrators and/or victims of violence on this scale is taken as a given;
In this context it isn't. A lot of work has been done, and continues to be done, by governments and by the private sector, to reduce the impact of and to young people of incidents on the road. But the best thing that could be done, I suspect (banning driving before the age of 25 or so) is currently politically unacceptable.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
This thread is boring as the answer is obvious: careless drivers are the most dangerous, no matter their age.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Dangerous to whom? Are young drivers most likely to have single vehicle accidents where the damage/injury is mostly to themselves and their passengers or are middle aged drivers more likely be involved in accidents where damage or injury is caused to other road users?

Where would we be without google...
I can remember when people just talked..
Yes - we've been here before. Today no less, on another thread.

And once again - please show a bit of respect to the wealth of varied expertise on CC? That is not a lot to ask.

Or perhaps you're genuinely happier with a forum where ignorant, white, pot-bellied, acned, males (apologies for the generalisations, but you know where it comes from) exchange pub gossip on their current hobbyhorses, unchallenged.

If so, toddle off to your local, and enjoy your chosen company. Ignore different opinions. Hey, ffs, ignore simple harsh facts. You'll be locked into that comfortable circle ...... of losers.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yes - we've been here before. Today no less, on another thread.

And once again - please show a bit of respect to the wealth of varied expertise on CC? That is not a lot to ask.

Or perhaps you're genuinely happier with a forum where ignorant, white, pot-bellied, acned, males (apologies for the generalisations, but you know where it comes from) exchange pub gossip on their current hobbyhorses, unchallenged.

If so, toddle off to your local, and enjoy your chosen company. Ignore different opinions. Hey, ffs, ignore simple harsh facts. You'll be locked into that comfortable circle ...... of losers.
If you want respect, can I suggest you don't go calling other forum members losers? Deliberate insults like that don't help keep any thread civil.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I think the most dangerous road users aren't the careless ones, but instead the ones who deliberately endanger other road users. They're not being careless, but are instead taking great care to intimidate others using their cars. Fortunately, they're a small minority.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
This is one of the worst threads I've read in a long time.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Something about the construction of masculinities that also lurks in the disturbing suicide figures you threw in above?

I might come back to this later, but it's youth that is the common linking factor, not masculinity or maleness.

Young women are also at extremely high risk of suicide - the link I provided gives stats by age and sex. They are also considerably more dangerous when controlling a ton of metal than middle-aged men, it's just that they're a little bit better than young men so don't get the same attention. Speculatively that might be because pro-social behaviours are more encouraged in young women than young men, but even if young men drove like young women they'd still be appallingly bad, risky and dangerous drivers.

None of this is intended to reflect on any particular individual, of course. It might be that Auntie Vi is a menace whose keys should be thrown away, that Elder Padraic should be picked up rather than allowed to drive to church again, or that your little Jeanette who you started teaching to drive when she was 12 is a perfect model driver even behind the wheel of your Testarossa. But that's not the question asked.

It's also not supposed to say that the roads are dangerous. As long as you're alert they're not. I suspect there's something lurking behind the OP which, if revealed, might take the thread in a more interesting direction.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4925109, member: 1314"]
Who are the biggest danger on the roads to others? I say it it is middle aged males.[/QUOTE]
How do you define "biggest danger" to get that bizarre answer?

spen666

Legendary Member
Based on my comprehensive survey (my ride on Saturday) it's older males who are marshalling traffic in and out of a tractor fair, who tend to walk backwards out into the middle of the road without looking, and then leap in the air with shock when you announce your presence.

Fortunately I wasn't going very fast and just steered around him. But we could both have been killed to death were it not for my lightning reactions and superior skills.

As opposed to what other sort of killed?

anothersam

SMIDSMe
[QUOTE 4925109, member: 1314"]Who are the biggest danger on the roads to others?[/QUOTE]

The undead.

walkingdead.jpg

Top Bottom