Who are the most dangerous users of the road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Selfish drivers cause immense frustration on main roads by blocking the road at relatively slow speeds and forcing the reckless into dangerous overtaking. Slow " careful" drivers are a menace and don't get me started on tour buses and their drivers.
"Forcing" them? :laugh: No, reckless drivers overtake recklessly because they choose to. Staying behind until it's safe to overtake is always a valid option.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

Never has anyone been so successful colouring in bar codes...:rolleyes:

:laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
These guys need to be avoided as well.

little_rabbit_with_large_bomb_by_sebreg-d31vkk7.jpg

boydj

Legendary Member
School-run mums seldom have more than 10% of their mind on driving. Young women in a hurry are often impatient and inconsiderate. Beware the driver who fits in both groups.

Young drivers, especially men, up to the age of about 25.

:whistle:

Whilst that is accurate, the data doesn't give us the full picture. The OP is clearly concerned about drivers at the time he is cycling. Do you have any data linking under 25 drivers with times of accidents? I imagine there could be a bulge of accidents in that group, late at night for example.

So could the FNRttC be more at risk? :eek:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Whilst that is accurate, the data doesn't give us the full picture. The OP is clearly concerned about drivers at the time he is cycling. Do you have any data linking under 25 drivers with times of accidents? I imagine there could be a bulge of accidents in that group, late at night for example.

If the data existed it would be somewhere in here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/568484/rrcgb-2015.pdf

Skimming through the table headings I can't find a cross-tab of time-of-day and age.

And the answer to a cyclist asking "should I be particularly concerned about a set of drivers or a time of day?" is "No". Cycling is considerably less risky than most people believe.

I've only done a few FNRttC, and the greatest danger I have experienced was from the drunk but charming denizens of Sutton on the car free High Street, who were - drunkenly and charmingly - playing frogger with the cyclists or competing to get the most high fives from the cyclists.

None of them put us at risk. Annoying, sure, but no more annoying than any drunk when you are sober.

Just sayin'

What, you've never played Frogger????

The player controls the yellow-green frog as it moves from the bottom to the top of the screen, avoiding cars, jumping on logs in the river and being cautious of turtles which may submerge.

frogger.gif

(in context, the lovely drunks tried to run between the FNRttC cyclists without getting killed. Luckily they all succeeded)

I have twice been barged by un-charming drunks on FNRttC, both of which I managed to avoid, but have seen one rider brought down.
OK, to be clear the only reason my drunks were charming is they didn't cause any collisions. That kind of proved to me
  1. they weren't trying to cause any collisions
  2. and they were trying not to, and succeeding very well, considering how drunk they were.
so that makes them charming - but only in retrospect. One prang, and I would have set up a gibbet. And held Stuart Cook and @vickster responsible, as the only two residents of Sutton I know.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4946040, member: 1314"]Ok. Anecdata again.

Yesterday, I cycled Covent Garden and back from Kingston via Motspur Park, Raynes Park Wimbledon South and CS7. I returned via CS8, Chelsea Bridge Road, Wandsworth and Wimbledon.

I left at 10 and returned by 4.

My conclusion is that white van man drivers ( and they were 99% male) were pretty good and patient; middle-aged posh women in surburban wankpanzers were very courteous; bus drivers were professional; and a Black Black Cab driver actually asked me how I was doing at Waterloo! The Addison Lee lot just looked stressed.

The problem was with the tipper truck type vehicles, and really long-sided vehicles where, yes, you can't see who's driving and make eye contact. When in in front and having to turn across them I stay way in front and give a mahoosive signal to make sure they've seen me to compensate. It is very interesting turning right into Battersea Park from Chelsea Bridge Road with a couple of tipper trucks up my jacks. I know cycling is safe but hearing and having those monster wheels pass you is, well, just not a good mix for a cyclist.

As with the tourist coaches as mentioned by another poster here. Apart from the amphibian Duck Buses who are more a danger to their passengers by instantaneously combusting.

Almost had a 4x4 left hook me at Seven Dials before heading towards Aldwych and I gave the look to another 4x4 driver on the phone at Vauxhall. Both were very well dressed middle-aged males.

Anecdata I know but I reckon I've done enough mileage in London over the years to make this analysis work for me.

I have to say, though, that the behaviour of bus drivers has improved immeasurably, especially in the SW 'burbs.

However I still had three cyclists undertake me on moving off on reds, or as I stayed in Secondary on the wide empty CS 7 at Kennington. Maybe they just wanted to be near my aura. I note these as the last two times I've been offed has been my commuter cyclists.[/QUOTE]
131 drivers are still numpties who don't seem to know where their stops are, overtaking cyclists just before they pull in to stop.

WVM are not angels painted, especially those in old beat up vans or red ones displaying Smith & Byford

More anecdata

Top Bottom