Who do you shop with?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
To some degree i normally sacrifice price - over finding somewhere with just what i want in stock. Because if somethings is broken, needs changing or i fancy an upgrade etc; i want to do that then......not in 3 weeks time.

And 90% of the time; that involves buying online - because any (Small'ish independent type) bike shops around this part of the World don't often have exactly what i want in stock. In saying that i did buy 2 new bikes, couple of Gold Standard locks etc from my local shop recently. And if i can support them - the new MTB might come from there too.......

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Merlin, Spa Cycles, Cyclestore, Hargroves, Sjs, CyclesUk, PlanetX, JEJames, Decathlon. Who ever has what I want at the best price.
Over the past couple of years its not been Wiggle Reaction as their prices have shot up and stock limited

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I have probably had the most stuff from CRC, but not much since the Wiggle take over.
Wiggle
Merlin
Planet X
Tredz, but the do have a tendency to list stuff not in stock
Winstanleys, a couple of good prices on frames.
High On Bikes
SJC, Good for hard to find bits
Halfords, but usually pick up in store.
SPA, but usually go to the shop.
Amazon, best delivery service.
Several more that I have used when the prices are right.

I usually go to my LBS’s first for consumables such as brake blocks/pads and gear cables and then I go to EBay for lightly used stuff or niche items that I can’t get from a mainstream retailer/website.

After that I tend to go to Merlin Cycles or Tredz.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lots of names there. Dont think anyone has mentioned Evans.

Dreadful since the Ashley takeover, no free delivery, have to pay for click and collect, can’t return anything for a refund. i bought a reduced jersey on a whim for a friend that I thought she’d like, didn’t fit, couldn’t get refund so just changed (plus more money) for a pot of Assos chamois cream which I could have got cheaper elsewhere :rolleyes:

I do use Sigma from time to time who are relatively local

If I need advise or some other kind of expertise then I go to the LBS

It may cost a bit more but I get the right thing
I also find his prices for basics - like inner tubes - are good for something of better quality

If I go for an inner tube I normally have to stop him trying to fit it for me - which he would do for free

otherwise I just go online - cheap stuff like a bell or cheap lights I have got from PlanetX a few times but their stock varies

AMazon is normally one of the best and quickest

vickster

Legendary Member
The end of PayPal return shipping on us might have an influence of how I shop in future, I’ll probably use Sportpursuit less unless it‘s a very good price and I’m going to keep. Ditto Planet X as they charge a relative lot for delivery and returns.
Indeed, Wiggle now charge for returns too.
That said, I do buy much less bike stuff nowadays, I don’t need any more clothing for example!

The end of PayPal return shipping on us might have an influence of how I shop in future, I’ll probably use Sportpursuit less unless it‘s a very good price and I’m going to keep. Ditto Planet X as they charge a relative lot for delivery and returns.
Indeed, Wiggle now charge for returns too

There is logic in this. It drastically reduces the return levels and unsaleable stock. Particularly those who fit/use it once and then try to get a refund. When I worked in logistics it reduced the return rate by 60%

There is logic in this. It drastically reduces the return levels and unsaleable stock. Particularly those who fit/use it once and then try to get a refund. When I worked in logistics it reduced the return rate by 60%

When I worked for a large Mail Order company (in the 1980s 1990s) they discovered that customers were saying that returning stuff was too hard because the returns form was confusing

so they introduced a 'returnable returns note' - pre filled in and inside the packaging - to make it easier - and therefore improve customer satisfaction
well that went well - returns went through the roof - next project - rejig the returnable returns note to make it more difficult to fill in!!!!!

I got told off for finding it funny!!!

vickster

Legendary Member

Still cheaper than having shops where people can actually try stuff on (especially with a full range of sizes for those of us who are at either end of the ‘average’ range).
Amazon quite often just refund without wanting the item back, happened to me this week.
I wouldn’t dream of returning something I’d actually worn (other than trying on) or used!

Still cheaper than having shops where people can actually try stuff on (especially with a full range of sizes for those of us who are at either end of the ‘average’ range).
Amazon quite often just refund without wanting the item back, happened to me this week.
I wouldn’t dream of returning something I’d actually worn (other than trying on) or used!
The particular firm I was at dealt with suitcases and bags. More often than not people would buy one, go on holiday and then return the bag to save having to store one at home!

OP
OP
John Shingler
Wiggle seems out of favour (maybe since they stopped adding Haribos to the delivery ^_^). Strangely, or maybe not so strange, just that it's not a bike shop, Amazon seems very popular.

Top Bottom