Who do you think you are?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
My mother's family are frequently mistaken for being Jewish by people who actually are so I decided to get an ancestry DNA test done.

It turns out that they're about 12% Iberian with nearly as much South Asian DNA. They've probably got some Spanish and Romany ancestory.

My father's lineage was an even bigger surprise. We always believed that he had some Malaysian ancestry, it turned out to be Melanesian. It's sobering to think that just 3 or 4 generations before me my ancestors were head-hunting and eating their enemies.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Plain old pasty faced Scottish bloodline here, for at least 4 generations that I know of.
The nearest I have to anything exotic is my mother having been born in Burma - to Scottish parents! (My maternal Grandfather was in the Merchant Navy, accompanied by his wife on that particular trip in 1926).

ACS

Legendary Member
Traced my family line to a wedding in 1783 which took place in the Parish Church in Bidson on the Wirral Peninsula. Nothing of note just tenant farmers and Ag Labs until more or less the start of the First World War. I doubt if I will be able to get back further than this, the groom is listed as a fisherman with no other indications of his origins. Chances are he sailed into Liverpool on a ship (trade or slaver) fell in love with a farmers daughter and decided to stay.

I do have a distant relative who was present at the Battle of Trafalgar on one of the ships supporting the main battle fleet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4395960, member: 45"]These tests aren't that accurate, as they go off patterns that are familiar to countries.[/QUOTE]

That would make sense. They traced my father's ancestry to the right area of the world, though possibly they were a few hundred miles out.

I've also got a 4th-6th cousin in the US who has a picture of Nathan Bedford Forrest (founder of the KKK) in his family album. I sincerely hope that's a mistake.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Overwhelmingly Scandinavia in ancestry, according to the money I blew on a DNA test, and, it seems, in temperament and outlook. Which is a bit spooky.

classic33

Leg End Member
Traced my family line to a wedding in 1783 which took place in the Parish Church in Bidson on the Wirral Peninsula. Nothing of note just tenant farmers and Ag Labs until more or less the start of the First World War. I doubt if I will be able to get back further than this, the groom is listed as a fisherman with no other indications of his origins. Chances are he sailed into Liverpool on a ship (trade or slaver) fell in love with a farmers daughter and decided to stay.

I do have a distant relative who was present at the Battle of Trafalgar on one of the ships supporting the main battle fleet.
Gone back over a 1000 years on both sides. Both are on the same side o'Pennines, although one area now lies below the North Sea.

London through and through. Which is odd as neither of my parents were born here. Must go back a few generations as the alternative is too horrific to contemplate.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
My Fathers side were mostly Norman Irish, transported to the States during Cromwell's time, although his mother was Dutch ancestry. Mothers folks were Bavarians on one side, and Yorkshire /indescribable origins on the other. Hard to trace maternal grandmothers' origins, no photographs, and she decamped soon after maternal grandfather died, leaving the children with another Bavarian - American family from the same city as her husband was.

Top Bottom