Who else has a garden that is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

rich p said:
:biggrin:
That's the unexpected late spring frosts though not the hard winter!:ohmy:
In know, I know, didn't stop me giggling at your previous answer after I'd said me spuds had gone, though. :thumbsup: :ohmy:

I don't think we've lost anything over the winter, but then our garden is pretty much full of native shrubs and trees anyway. Yew, heather, holly, hawthorn, medlar, cherries, pear, apples, cotoneaster, quince, the pond has yellow flag iris... etc. "Exotic" stuff at Chateau Norm is paulownia, dogwood and pyracantha, all of which are pretty hardy.

The stuff which has been affected by the late frost was the kiwi (home-grown, if not native :biggrin: ), davidia (which should have been fine) and the virginia creeper, strangely, as that stuff can survive when even the cockroaches are feeling dodgy. :biggrin:

scots_lass

I've lost quite a few shrubs and plants in the garden because of the winter. Seems everytime I go out in the garden at the moment I come across something else that hasn't made it. Even some quite hardy things like Hebes have gone belly up! So far I have lost:
3 assorted hebes
clump of agapanthus
one Cistus
2 perennial wallflowers
2 clumps of Euphorbia
1 miniature lilac tree
1 cordyline
1 phormium
1 tree fern (OK my fault for leaving it out!)
Hopefully there isn't much more waiting to be discovered!

GrasB

Veteran
I solved most this by just having grass, architectural features & a pond. Everything else is in pots which are arranged what ever way we want at the time... & spend most of their time indoors.

Norm

Norm said:
The frosts last week have done for our potatoes. :smile:
I'm sure all the Café regulars will be delighted to hear that the spuds appear to have been knocked back rather than killed. Loads of new greenery on them today, I reckon they'll just be a week later than expected.

summerdays said:
Just heard that my Dad's potatoes have suffered from the frost too...
I'm sooooo hoping that isn't a euphemism. :biggrin: :biggrin:

wafflycat

Norm said:
I'm sure all the Café regulars will be delighted to hear that the spuds appear to have been knocked back rather than killed. Loads of new greenery on them today, I reckon they'll just be a week later than expected.

That's what has happened to mine. They've perked up very well post nipping.

Norm

Kirstie said:
My phormium is phoobar'd and my cordyline isn't looking too clever either.
Any tips on phormium repair?
Older phormium leaves usually suffer more from frost damage, new leaves should be pretty hardy. My guess is that the roots will be unaffected and you'll see new shoots coming through. Once the new leaves are growing well, cut off those which are damaged.

ChrisKH

Guru
rich p said:
Because of the mild winters we've been used to, people have planted and garden centres have sold, a lot of inappropriate plants for our natural climate. There are a lot of dead exotic palms, cordylines etc round here.

They're the one thing that has survived in my garden. Quite a few other plants have died this year. I bought the house from a Scot who really liked her garden and it was very well planted and established. She had to downsize as her cheating husband run off with her best friend. Anyhoo, I am always reminded of her starting the garden off and her ancestry as we have a lot of established mauve scottish thistles and mauve/blue shrubs and flowers that come up. Too much effort to dig them all up and replace in red and white. xx(

Norm said:
Older phormium leaves usually suffer more from frost damage, new leaves should be pretty hardy. My guess is that the roots will be unaffected and you'll see new shoots coming through. Once the new leaves are growing well, cut off those which are damaged.

Righto then. I'll scalp it. ;)
Thanks for the advice norm

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
My garden seems to have weathered the winter rather well.
Which is to say the toy cars, tractors, trampolines, tents, paddling pools, sandpits, ball pool and shed still seem to be there, and still preclude my doing anything other than squeezing a little lawn into the gaps. Uncut, of course.

Ever seen a lawnmower try to tackle a diecast car transporter? Its noisy.

Top Bottom