Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Once

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • A few times

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Too many times :(

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
about once every 4 years, had a accident in january so hopefully should be ok for another few years, Cycle appox 8,000 miles a year so really not bad considering some of the great drivers on todays roads.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'm not going to list them but there have been more than enough in my long and glittering cycle career! In my defence I do like to ride enthusiastically so probably haven't had as many offs as I should considering my penchant to sail close to the wind!

We are not doing very well with the 'never' vote.....
Similar here, broke collarbones a lot (in fact my left one is still broken) but my record is falling off a dozen or so times absolutely smashed on the way back from Maz's sisters flat (cyclepath all the way from her place to home)

Not come off the Trike yet but had a few :eek: moments trying to corner too quick for an 'upwrong' before I learnt the trick (inner pedal down with all your bodyweight on it and hang off like a loon :hyper:)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've been off a few times, but I have been very lucky. Hit by cars three times and not had a scratch on me though one bike was a write off. Hit a tree root whilst pootling on a cycle path and ended up with stitches in my elbow, bike was completely fine.

Noru

Excluding my brief foray into Cycle Speedway I've not had an off as an adult.

Though I had two big offs when I was little...

I was car doored which resulted in a trip to the local hospital (no A&E) for glueing & strapping where the corner of the door had just missed my eye socket and checks over a couple of days for concussion, which I didn't have luckily.

Then another where I was following a friend down a hill I hit a huge pothole while passing a parked van which flung me over the bars and into the middle of the road. Very lucky all other traffic missed me and I regained conciousness in the back of an ambulance some way into the half hour ride to Derby Royal Infimary A&E, was on gas while a lovely nurse removed the grit from the deep cuts.

Still have a couple of scars from them 15-20 years later but none recently well not cycling related anyway. But it does explain why I'm always slow on steep decents much prefering the challenge of uphill rather than the speed of the downhill.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been cycling for over 40 years and I'm generally very good at keeping it rubber side down, but I've chewed tarmac occasionally . worst was 2007 getting clipped from behind, spending an afternoon in A&E and three weeks of work with a bruised back. year before last on Tiagra after several years on sram, I left it to long on the outer ring at the bottom of a hill and when I dropped it on the inner ring it sucked its chain and spat me off, no damage just embarrassed, last year trickling at walking pace got my toe tangled up in the front mudguard and ended up on my arse, again no damage done.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I did have a serious one in my 20's. I was touring with a mate. Going along a lane. Not fast, fully loaded bike going up a small hill. Woke up with my mate standing over me and a big wound on the back of my head. I still have photos of the puddle of blood. No idea what happened. Being young and convinced of my immortality, I didn't get checked out at A&E or anything, just got back on the bike and continued the tour.

That continues to worry me as I do most of my riding on my own. Not a huge amount of worry, but a bit.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What are you trying to gain though?

Chicks dig scars, innit.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll always remember the first proper off though, just having mastered leaving stabilizers behind, I was wobbling along on my Grifter, in shorts and tee shirt on a local piece of wasteland. Suddenly I wobbled too much and lost the fight with gravity, straight into a big pile of stinging nettles. That smarted.
Some time after leaving stabilisers behind, I got a Grifter as my first geared bike. On the first ride, I shifted into second and being completely unprepared for the acceleration of a 33% gear step, I put the bike straight into a large unruly rose bush :eek:

Years later, on my first road bike, on probably the first attempt to shift up, I spent so long looking down at the shifters that I looked back up to see a cornfield had unavoidably leapt into my way :eek:

Will Spin

Über Member
I've come off my mountain bike a few times, but we don't count those do we? One major off while road biking after many years, descending, not that fast, didn't see a bump in the road - ouch! shattered right shoulder been brilliantly strung back together by a top class surgeon. Always go into drops when descending or over 15mph now.

Mrs M

Guru
Had quite a few offs on my racer as a kid, usually cornering like a speedway rider (not) :blush: and zooming along the ground still on the bike. Never broke anything and worse damage was scuffed bar tape.
Came off my MTB a few years ago into a ditch, chest high :ohmy: fall broken by raspberries :hungry:
Last offs were on holiday in Tenerife, returned at Christmas and stayed upright this time :thumbsup:
Had a close call once on my current road bike, busy admiring a horse in a field and almost ended up in a bush, corrected swiftly and carried on :bicycle:

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
A few. The worst being a pavement cyclist on a red & yellow trike and going over the handlebars and gashing my chin.
Enjoyed the hot chocolate drink and "special" biscuits my aunty Margaret gave me though. That was the most blood I had ever seen in my whole 6 year life :laugh:

Effyb4

Veteran
Only once. It was a clipless moment at a bus stop. I nearly fell in the lap of a poor man. I only had a few cuts and bruises. Mr Effy thought it was hilarious.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Let's see, a few sideways slides on the ice, one memorable over the bars into a hedge, one distasterous attempt at a big boy's jump on a MTB and one front wheel washout leading to a trip to A&E. That probably counts as "too many" doesn't it...

My new year's resolution for 2017 is to not fall off my bike!

Edit: the front wheel washout and jump were both at trail centres so don't count for the purposes of this thread. That would probably make it around 2,000 - 3,000 miles per crash, which doesn't sound too bad to me.

Top Bottom