Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Once

Votes: 32 14.5%
  • A few times

Votes: 131 59.5%
  • Too many times :(

Votes: 41 18.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've only had a couple off my road bike but plenty 'airborne' moments from the MTB but if you haven't flown off a mountain bike you haven't been mountain biking!

It's mandatory to fall off a MTB at least once per rude.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
On the other hand, I find the attitude that crashing is an inevitable part of cycling very trying :tongue:
I'm with you. Hence the question I am asking in the helmet debate thread (over on the dark aide!)

I'm...personally...satisfied that cycling isn't dangerous and doesn't need special safety equipment to undertake it...unless I am using it as a sporting activity which increases risk in my view.

Fascinating spread of views on this thread though.

Alcohol seems to be much more of a contributing factor than sport...id never considered that. Perhaps pubs should loan helmets and elbow pads!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm...personally...satisfied that cycling isn't dangerous and doesn't need special safety equipment to undertake it...unless I am using it as a sporting activity which increases risk in my view.

So you will be ditching your plastic hat for the commute and your long distance ride/toursthen? :whistle:

So you will be ditching your plastic hat for the commute and your long distance ride/toursthen? :whistle:
If you want to have that discussion, over to the ghetto with you.

Alcohol seems to be much more of a contributing factor than sport...id never considered that. Perhaps pubs should loan helmets and elbow pads!!
I've always assumed that enforcing helmet wearing for everyone leaving a pub would save more skulls than cycle helmets do.

So it's over to ghetto for me, too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm with you. Hence the question I am asking in the helmet debate thread (over on the dark aide!)
The dark aide wears a helmet...
helmet_spaceballs.jpg

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Yep, way ahead of you fella. I ride the single speed...lidless and now with extra denim! (cant believe I've found skinny cycle jeans that fit my hoy-esque thighs!

Road bike is ridden more furiously and still prefer to wear a lid...plus I look like a pro with matching lid and white shoes.

And bar tape

Globalti

Legendary Member
In 21 years of mountain biking I reckoned to fall of at least a couple of times in a ride, always at slow speed due to getting a wheel wrong or stalling and toppling sideways. Never had an off road crash at speed.

In 6 years of road cycling I've only fallen off twice and that was within about two minutes, once each side, on each side of the A6 on the south part of the Preston Guild Wheel when I failed to spot black ice at the crossing. I scratched up both brake levers. Still waiting for a crash at speed and gravel rash.

DanZac

Twice in around 20K miles so that fits in pretty well with the average.
Once when I made the mistake of using a cycle path and ended up with the front wheel down an open cast mine size pothole and me over the bars.
And once when I got knocked off by mrs SMIDSY turning right straight across me, which hurt a bit!
Not been off for a while though so hope this thread isnt tempting fate.

Top Bottom