Who here is a musician?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bass guitar, if you get desparate.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I can do guitar, but there's clearly no call for that.

I could do bass for you, but most of my gigs are on trombone these days. Horn sections add so much, but while sax players are ten a penny, good trumpet and trombone players are in demand.

And yes, I can make digital music files.

So, what are we going to play? I suggest we start with a straightforward standard. Something vaguely folky, maybe, given the offers of banjo, mandolin etc. Irish Rover?

We'll need to agree what we're going to play and in what key and what tempo, how many verses etc.. Then we can each record our track(s) and post them up somewhere.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I play bass in an acoustic outfit based around a singer-songwriter. I've been doing it so long I probably can't play with anyone else now. If the group ever folds I'll give up. Bit of guitar too, infrequently.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
urbanrider said:
would it be done in cubase ?

As long as we're recording one track at a time, are accurately tuned up and playing at the same tempo, it doesn't matter does it? We can individually record in whatever interchangeable format we like (mp3 or wma maybe) and someone can convert all the individual tracks to the same format for mixing.

First move might be a guide/click track for everyone to play against.

Any suggestions as to a place to post individual tracks?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok...do we want to do a cover or write our own toon?

I can do the drums then I could post up a link to the wav file if you like...say 3 mins long ish...maybe a simply rocky beat pattern thing...nothing to flash...then we can go from there....I think it would be cooler to try and write our own toon and have a laugh with it...maybe keep the lyrics along the lines of cycling ...dunno...

I can put a simple count up front on the drum parts so we can all line up in our own recording platforms....just be sure to copy and paste the count over onto your own parts for those not using a pc platform (like me)...that way the files can be lined up in a stand alone hard disc recorder without farting around with wav form editors etc

(For anybody who hasnt got any recording software, who wants to get involved, I might suggest getting a free download from reaper or acid perhaps).

Then all we have to do is get some basic chords/riffs down on the guitars, add a bassline and some vocals...I can do keyboards on my guitar as well, unless we have a keyboard player...

Once all the files or recorded everyone just needs to upload their wav files to www.yousendit.com and we can all download what we want....it would make sense for one person to mix the track and master it though....

...then we can sell it in soapbox and make a fortune;););)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I was thinking of starting with a cover to make it easy to agree on what should be played by whom and when, and to establish exactly how it'd all work.

But I like the idea of just evolving something between ourselves. If we were all together in a rehearsal room what would happen? We'd probably get started jamming with something like a 12 bar blues, maybe a slow shuffle. That way everyone knows what's coming next. Record us a drum track, with the appropriate fills, for that, BTFB, say 6 verses.

All the guitarists can take a solo verse each!

Shall we say, in A?

But I think we still need a central file store, where anyone can download the tracks others have recorded. They'll need to be able to at least hear them while they record their own against it. Just sending files to each other will limit who can do what and when. When we've got a whole mass of files, anyone who wants to, and has the appropriate software, can play producer and put it all together.

urbanrider

Uncle Phil said:
As long as we're recording one track at a time, are accurately tuned up and playing at the same tempo, it doesn't matter does it? We can individually record in whatever interchangeable format we like (mp3 or wma maybe) and someone can convert all the individual tracks to the same format for mixing.

First move might be a guide/click track for everyone to play against.

Any suggestions as to a place to post individual tracks?

seem to remember that cubase had this thing called rocket where peeps could record their tracks and then upload them for the rest to hear and edit if need be, not sure if its still around

barq

Kirstie said:
I was also a techno DJ ...

I used to DJ hard house... but anyway that gives me the excuse to tell my favourite (and very old) DJ joke:

Two DJs are recovering from a heavy night of clubbing and feeling a bit bored. One says to the other "Hey, we should go to the cinema and watch a film."

The other says, "I dunno, who's the projectionist?"

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..well I have done lots of these types of collaborations and we always only ever used yousendit.com

all that happens is that the individual files are uploaded and a link posted on this board. Anybody can then download them. As the project evolves the various initial mixes are uploaded as well...so for example I do a drum track...a bass player downloads the drums and plays along...he uploads his bass file. I mix the bass into the drum part and upload that so th eguitarist can jam along to both at the same time....or (easier) the guitarist just downloads both drums and bass and doeshis thing.

It's very simple. let me do a short drum track and upload it...you can then download it...then it will be clearer how it will work maybe.

I alwayd work in wav files...but feel free to use mp3 if you like . One hting though, this can take age sif you are on a dial up connection..a fast broadband connestion is better...but not totally necessary.

Tetedelacourse

I would love to lend my guitar skills and rolling barotone to the band but I just can't commit - all my spare time is taken up with managing the CC rugby team. Having a lot of difficulty keeping Dom and Cab apart and creating synergy.

Good luck to you though.

Apart from the sound of tinkling bells following me where ever I go...
I can play the piano, sing...quite well really! And play the clarinet...so if we where going for the big band fullness of sound, I'd love it!

I trained to tune, repair & build pianos, percussion and wind instruments too - just Incase we need some spot repairs doing - :-)

Top Bottom