Who here is a product of the Polytechnics?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I dropped out of an Electronic Engineering degree at the then Lanchester Polytechnic, Coventry! (I had got in there at short notice after changing my mind about taking up my university place in Kent when I got a girlfriend in Cov. Ha - she dumped me when I was only a couple of months into my course, at which point I found drowning my sorrows in the union bar more interesting than studying!)

I went to university 9 years later and finally got my EE degree.

thecube

Career-wise my further education years were a waste of time, but you can't turn the clock back and I had some fun along the way.

donnydave

Über Member
The university I went to (Hertfordshire) used to be a poly back in the day. I remember once using a hammer that said Hatfield Polytechnic on it. It did the job. Does that count?

thecube

Let's face it, the likes of Coventry, Huddersfield, Nottingham Trent etc will always be viewed as Polys or 2nd rate Universities. I'm not saying they're not very good, but obviously there is less kudos than the bigger establishments. But with my exam results no-one else would touch me!

AndyRM

XOXO
Sort of - I went to Northumbria Uni, which became a University in 1992. It's still called the Poly by pretty much everyone I've met in the city.

Nearly f*cked up a BA(Hons) in Multimedia Design. Everything I've done since has involved what I learned.

thecube

[QUOTE 3231367, member: 45"]I dunno. Coventry, presumably being where it is, has a good reputation for engineering. I suppose it depends on who is making the view.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it's always going to be 2nd in reputation to Warwick. However, some of these Uni's / Poly's do have strong reputations is certain areas. When I was at Hudds the employment rate for people with a HND / HNC in applied sciences (chemistry) was always higher than those with the degree.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Let's face it, the likes of Coventry, Huddersfield, Nottingham Trent etc will always be viewed as Polys or 2nd rate Universities. I'm not saying they're not very good, but obviously there is less kudos than the bigger establishments. But with my exam results no-one else would touch me!
that's the problem. the old poly's offered a fine service to those more vocationally oriented post-A level, now all they are is championship (if the russell group are premier league) universities.

i went to the university of sheffield, but had a few nights out at the poly (now sheffield hallam) union...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Sheffield City Poly for me but it changed to Sheffield Hallam University during my tenure. Excellent vocational courses for the profession I chose, regarded as highly as any of the traditional Universities.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Portsmouth Polytechnic, Chemistry with Computing HND on the back of one grade E an F and a U, last year before the grant was frozen.

I got my degree while working- a mixed bag of more chemistry, materials science, maths and statistics.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
One lived in halls and used to cook Sunday roasts to upset all the students with their pot noodle, the other was in a big old house miles from campus which was poly accommodation for car drivers then rented somewhere.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm a big fan of the Polytechnic, they should be re-instated with immediate effect offering with purely technical/ vocational courses and no tuition fees. 2 years hard labour 9 to 5 study, modular and project work.

For my own sins (failed A-levels almost twice) I went to South Bank Polytechnic
me too! And then to Kingston for my PGDip, but, by that time, it was all university'd up

Top Bottom