Who here lives in N.Devon and N. Somerset borders - Tiverton/Barnstable/Taunton Triangle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears

Our house is on the market and we're looking to move west from Kent (am originally from Exeter). North Devon/North Somerset borders and around Exmoor seem faves. We have our prime choice of location(s) if we can find a house, but we may need to consider other options.
As I need to get to Heathrow and Portbury for work, roughly the Tiverton/Taunton/Barnstaple triangle would work with Crediton as an outlier.

Looking for a community with the basic amenities (shop/Pub) within walking distance. Good local country dog-walking and Cycling a benefit. Striking distance of a beach (by car) would be a bonus. I know, we don't want for much ;-)

Any thoughts form those in the area of various towns/villages and countryside?

Last edited:

Rocky

Hello decadence
Are you still in contact with CoffeeJo……I know she’s moved but I bet she’d be able to advise (on dog friendly and cycling friendly areas)

All uphill

Still rolling along
Taunton resident here. I moved to this area 30 years ago and love it. The town has everything you could need within 5 minutes on the bike. Theatre, excellent hospital, train station, shops, Riverside walks.

The focus in recent years has been on open public spaces, so the green spaces are wonderful, but the High Street is rather sad.

Villages vary enormously, some have no community, some have lots. Some are welcoming and open minded, others can be very parochial and unwelcoming.

All my opinions, of course.

I'm happy to help in any way I can. Just PM me.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Dears

Our house is on the market and we're looking to move west from Kent (am originally from Exeter). North Devon/North Somerset borders and around Exmoor seem faves. We have our prime choice of location(s) if wde can find a house, but we may need to consider other options.
As I need to get to Heathrow and Portbury for work, roughly the Tiverton/Taunton/Barnstaple triangle would work with Crediton as an outlier.

Looking for a community with the basic amenities (shop/Pub) within walking distance. Good local country dog-walking and Cycling a benefit. Striking distance of a beach (by car) would be a bonus. I know, we don't want for much ;-)

Any thoughts form those in the area of various towns/villages and countryside?
I've lived in Braunton, North Devon for the past 16 years. Love the area, the village and the beaches.(and the pubs :laugh:)
I wouldn't live in Barnstaple - too busy for me. Same goes for Tiverton and Taunton.
We are actually thinking of moving sometime in the next couple of years to be closer to our best mates, who have moved to Minehead. We would be looking for a character cottage on Exmoor around the Dulverton, Timberscombe, Porlock areas.
Just bear in mind that if you live around here, you won't get anywhere quickly and 10 miles can be a very long way on narrow lanes.

Last edited:

newts

Veteran
If motorway access is high on your list if priorities, any of the villages on the M5 corridor between Taunton & Exeter should give plenty to peruse. Sampford Peverell & Halberton (far enough from Tiverton) near to J27 M5 would be a good start.

Dolorous Edd

& Tiverton

I've only been to Tiverton once - I cycled through it on a tour, planning to stop at a pub for lunch. Every pub I passed looked rough, and I found myself out the other end of town without having stopped. I couldn't figure out whether my route had given me a representative sample of the town's ambience.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've lived in Braunton, North Devon for the past 16 years. Love the area, the village and the beaches.(and the pubs :laugh:)
I wouldn't live in Barnstaple - too busy for me. Same goes for Tiverton and Taunton.
We are actually thinking of moving sometime in the next couple of years to be closer to our best mates, who have moved to Minehead. We would be looking for a character cottage on Exmoor around the Dulverton, Timberscombe, Porlock areas.
Just bear in mind that he you live around here, you won't get anywhere quickly and 10 miles can be a very long way on narrow lanes.
Can you start looking when we've found somewhere please - you've hit our ground zero!
There are some nice properties on the outskirts of Minehead with great views, but can imagine it's heaving in the summer.
Yep, we're aware of the roads and how long it takes to cover few miles, we're regulars in that area in our Campervan....

Top Bottom