Who is at fault here? And what can be learnt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My driving instructor told me to treat a zebra like a pavement AS SOON AS a ped sets foot on it. It's sacrosanct. The driver didn't bother. The driver would have to explain how they nearly killed someone who was halfway across a zebra at the point of impact.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Tough one that.
They both look as if they could have stopped. She took quite a whack though....ouch!

Brandane

Legendary Member
That driver has the observation skills of a bat, coupled with the reactions of a sloth.
The driver should have had a clear view of the pedestrian on the crossing as the black car coming the other way cleared the crossing. That was at 11 seconds on the video, and the car was still a few feet short of the crossing. It then takes the driver of the silver car another FIVE SECONDS to bring the car to a stop! WTF was the driver doing for 5 seconds? At the low speed involved, that was a ridiculous time to take. Stand on the brakes and let the ABS do its job FFS..
The pedestrian didn't do herself many favours either, putting her life in the hands of a blind tortoise!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
To me it's the pedestrian; the driver won't have seen the pedestrian behind the black car. They've then run across and they aren't in the driver's field of vision until too late.

I agree the driver could have stopped earlier but ...

Custom24

Über Member
At 07 it looks like she sees the cars and target. At the end of 11 seconds the women spots the car but continues to run rather than stopping she try's to keep in front of the car to hit the bonnet I suspect an insurance scam. Driver is pretty blameless in this and this screams insurance scam to me and she just really stupid.
Hope it hurt if so
She was very lucky not to land under the car that came the other way, so if it was an insurance scam, it was an incredibly stupid one.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
She was very lucky not to land under the car that came the other way, so if it was an insurance scam, it was an incredibly stupid one.
You should see what they do in Asia. They have started to up there game, where rather than jumping on cars they dart out from behind parked cars and get hit.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
The pedestrian didn't look and I think that she must have seen the car - it's a big thing - and still kept right on running at it. The car could have slowed down when approaching the zebra crossing. Technically she was on the crossing already as he crossed but she wasn't waiting there as people normally do to cross.
I feel for the car driver a bit as that pedestrian was crossing without any consideration for anything, including herself.

In those exact circumstances, if I was cycling and hit that poor girl there is no way I would even consider arguing that I wasn't 100% to blame.

midlife

Guru
Don't you have to place your foot on the crossing to claim your right of way and then wait for the traffic to stop..................none of which the ped did.

Shaun

The driver should have seen this child running from the road to the crossing form about 0:03 onwards

It is a CHILD and therefore should have been seen as unpredictable ad slowed down to allow for the child to run on to the crossing, where they have priority

Even having failed to see and react to these blatantly obvious clues, the child is clearly visible form about 0:10 onwards with time to at least slow down.

Given having missed both of these the driver should have also seen the group by the crossing on their side and slowed down in case they stepped back on the crossing, and finally should have slowed down for the crossing anyway.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You should see what they do in Asia. They have started to up there game, where rather than jumping on cars they dart out from behind parked cars and get hit.
That is the one circumstance when I would welcome an un-insured driver. "Insurance? What's insurance? Sorry but you just deliberately got hit by my car and you're going to get F all compensation; goodbye!".

snorri

Legendary Member
I blame the driver of the black car for obscuring the view of the oncoming silver car, if the black car had been a normal saloon car of average height the driver of the silver car would have seen the head of the pedestrian crossing the road.
I jest, but do have to question the effect on road safety of permitting ever larger vehicles on public roads.

Top Bottom