Who is brave enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've wimped out of tomorrow's very hilly audax ride. I've already worn halfway through the rim of the front wheel on my best bike and heavy braking on steep descents in the wet could just about kill the wheel altogether. (That is a pitiful excuse because I have a choice of 2 cheap front wheels that I could replace it with for the ride! :whistle:)

If I am going to tackle a 130 km route involving over 2,500 m of steep climbing (80 miles, 8,400 ft) then I want to do it in at least tolerably bad conditions. 5-6 hours of heavy rain before getting to the showers/sunny intervals is a bit too much to enjoy.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
@gavroche when I was staying with my sister in Mold last weekend I said I wouldn’t mind moving there.
My BiL asked if I could cope with the constant rain....? It’s always sunny when I’m there.

The Mold Alehouse is seducing me!

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep lovely and warm in London, pretty strong headwind on my return rideso quite a workout

I've done about 30 miles today in shorts and short sleeves so a good hit of Vit D :okay:

The washing should be dry and well aired too!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
... no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothes.
Clearly NOT true!

It is true to say that run-of-the-mill bad weather can be tolerated by those dressed for it, but there are conditions which are extremely dangerous to be out in. I was literally blown off my bike by strong winds on a holiday on the Costa Blanca and the bike itself was flying like a kite - I had to grab hold of it and pull it to the ground before it disappeared into a Spanish ravine. Wind conditions like this, just down the road from where it happened to me! :laugh:

Unless you have clothing incorporating a well-made Faraday Cage then I suggest that whatever clothes you wear are 'the wrong clothes' when lightning bolts start raining down. Well, unless you particularly fancy ending up frazzled like this young man outside my sister's local shops! :eek:

Alan O

Über Member
Did hang the washing out but the wind blew the rotary dryer over.
I hung some washing out too - it's soaking wet now.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
If I want to get somewhere I have no other choice, no such thing as bad weather only the wrong clothes.
I fail to agree with this statement. Yes, you can protect yourself from the rain by wearing appropriate clothing but the dangers on the roads caused by very wet conditions still remain and for me , this is my first priority.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I fail to agree with this statement. Yes, you can protect yourself from the rain by wearing appropriate clothing but the dangers on the roads caused by very wet conditions still remain and for me , this is my first priority.
I don't have any other vehicles, if I need to get somewhere how do you suggest I get there bearing in mind I can hardly walk these days even with 2 crutches.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Torrential here today - lanes are flooded etc.

Turbo day for me - I'm long past enjoying cycling or hoofing around The Fells in the wet and wind.

Nice shower after the turbo session then buttered crumpets in front of open fire with Lovely Wife vs miserable slogathon on a bike. No contest.

Top Bottom