Who is not clipped in and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Herbie

Veteran
I bought SPDs earlier this year and found them difficult, mainly because I had 2 hills I couldn't get up and had to walk them both. After a fall I took the SPDs back off the bike and the shoes went back into the box.

Now months later I'm sailing up those hills and for a while now I've been able to do my route without any problems. Only stopping for some water and blow my nose once or twice. I've been thinking of going back to the SPDs but not convinced. I'm not having a problem with my trainers and the steel cage pedals.

I'm just thinking about the autumn weather as my trainers will not keep out the rain due to the air hole mesh and I'll need to invest in some good waterproof shoes at some point before the winter. The cheap shoes I have with cleats on are waterproof but like I say cheap and will need to be replaced at sometime. Before anyone suggests it, the shoes are rubbish with no grip on my steel pedals.

Is it an image thing? Does having "the shoes" make you a like a proper cyclist? I'm always reading posts about how wonderful they are. I'm sure there are a few on here who, for one reason or another, are not clipped in anymore. Why?

Lady Trucker :cuppa:

I have SPD shoes but rarely wear them...my pedals have a flat side and a side for SPDs....I had a few embarrassing incidents where I fell off when I was stationary at traffic lights...happens to everyone at some point I guess...I found they very make very little difference to me and the way I cycle...I kinda like the peace of mind of being able to take my foot off the pedals instantly and without having to think about it...each to their own though eh :bicycle:

rovers1875

Veteran
I rode wearing wellies on the folding bike today...

Some people are just blessed with style.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I have SPD shoes but rarely wear them...my pedals have a flat side and a side for SPDs....I had a few embarrassing incidents where I fell off when I was stationary at traffic lights...happens to everyone at some point I guess...I found they very make very little difference to me and the way I cycle...I kinda like the peace of mind of being able to take my foot off the pedals instantly and without having to think about it...each to their own though eh :bicycle:

I honestly wish the Mod's would put a fixed post on here about SPD's and cleats.

SH51 cleats - standard issue and potentially *loody dangerous esp' for those new to them. They should come with a health warning. I am aware that people do get used to them. However, the 'clipless moment' tales are legion on bike forums - all highly amusing until the day someone has a 'clipless' and topples under the wheels of a bus; cue "so sorry to hear this" thread in CC.

SH56 cleats or 'Multi-release' cleats - buy these for £10-15 depending on your ability/willingness to trawl the web for bargains. Fit them. Forget them. Even as a total Noob you can use these from day one of bike ownership. You simply get on your bike and clip in (this is the hardest bit tbh but no biggy) and then, when you want to unclip, just take your foot off the pedal as though it was a flattie and voila your foot magically releases with zero drama.

No "moments", no drama, no gashed limbs, no nice new shiny bike damage.

Apart from one or two other posters who mention them on here this does not seem to get picked up on. Why, is a mystery to me.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've seen that but it doesn't mention different cleats esp' from a newbies perspective.

Then feel free to add to the thread.

I honestly wish the Mod's would put a fixed post on here about SPD's and cleats.

SH51 cleats - standard issue and potentially *loody dangerous esp' for those new to them. They should come with a health warning. I am aware that people do get used to them. However, the 'clipless moment' tales are legion on bike forums - all highly amusing until the day someone has a 'clipless' and topples under the wheels of a bus; cue "so sorry to hear this" thread in CC.

SH56 cleats or 'Multi-release' cleats - buy these for £10-15 depending on your ability/willingness to trawl the web for bargains. Fit them. Forget them. Even as a total Noob you can use these from day one of bike ownership. You simply get on your bike and clip in (this is the hardest bit tbh but no biggy) and then, when you want to unclip, just take your foot off the pedal as though it was a flattie and voila your foot magically releases with zero drama.

Apart from one or two other posters who mention them on here this does not seem to get picked up on. Why, is a mystery to me.

Well now we know.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions

Could you do the sticky a favor and not contribute towards it? People generally have enough reservations about fixing their feet to pedals without the additional doom and gloom I've bolded.

"clipless moment tales" requires reference and context.

I fell off my bike yesterday, I was wearing spd shoes.
That makes spd shoes out to be the issue or indeed cause of the fall.

I fell off my bike yesterday whilst wearing spd shoes because I lost my wheel on a root.
The pedals were irrelevant in this case.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd describe SH56's as lethal. Not safe if you like sprinting away from the lights or riding hard out of the saddle. SH51's are ridiculously easy to get out of, much perfer road systems due to the stronger foot retention.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'd describe SH56's as lethal. Not safe if you like sprinting away from the lights or riding hard out of the saddle. SH51's are ridiculously easy to get out of, much perfer road systems due to the stronger foot retention.

Was talking about beginners who tend not to sprint out of the saddle and ride hard away from the lights. If they are so easy to get out of why do a fair few riders have clipless moments?

Top Bottom