Who is not clipped in and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought SPDs earlier this year and found them difficult, mainly because I had 2 hills I couldn't get up and had to walk them both. After a fall I took the SPDs back off the bike and the shoes went back into the box.

Now months later I'm sailing up those hills and for a while now I've been able to do my route without any problems. Only stopping for some water and blow my nose once or twice. I've been thinking of going back to the SPDs but not convinced. I'm not having a problem with my trainers and the steel cage pedals.

I'm just thinking about the autumn weather as my trainers will not keep out the rain due to the air hole mesh and I'll need to invest in some good waterproof shoes at some point before the winter. The cheap shoes I have with cleats on are waterproof but like I say cheap and will need to be replaced at sometime. Before anyone suggests it, the shoes are rubbish with no grip on my steel pedals.

Is it an image thing? Does having "the shoes" make you a like a proper cyclist? I'm always reading posts about how wonderful they are. I'm sure there are a few on here who, for one reason or another, are not clipped in anymore. Why?

Lady Trucker :cuppa:

SWSteve

Guru
I use SPD -SLs and I wouldn't go back to flats anytime sharpish. I have fallen off a couple of times, most recently 3ft from my front door in a white shirt ready for work...but I haven't been discouraged. I should probably loosen the tension, but just havent.

When I fell off, I had one in and one out, but of course I fell to the side that was clipped in - sod's law

Ladytrucker, you ride a bike your a proper cyclist.
I have found they help, more so on getting going, I cant say they have improved my performance, though my speeds have improved, but that may just be an overall improvement, but i would have to say a combination of all the factors that have changed in the last couple of months from gears to handle bars, pedals to saddle.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I used to use toe clips on all my bikes from the racer i had as teenager to my MTBs of my 20's... they just seemed so normal and an integral part of the bike and i never gave slipping in or out of them a 2nd thought.

the reason i took the toe clips off was when i bought a bright orange pair of platforms which matched the bright orange stickers on my frame... not very scientific i know... but ohhh they did look nice. Once I'd got used to not having clips, I wondered why i figured they were so essential in the first place. It's just what you're used to i guess.

vickster

Legendary Member
I now clip in on both road bikes, taken me a while to get brave enough to do so on the commuter roadie. Trainers on the hybrid if I cba

robjh

Legendary Member
When I'm touring I still use trainers + toe clips, as I spend a lot of time exploring off the bike too and don't want to carry the weight of extra shoes. That said I do find SPDs nicer for riding as I don't force my feet to the front of the shoe as I do with toe clips, but the difference isn't as great as all that.

deadpool7

I find the clipless help with hills. I've been riding in SPD-SL for nearly a year and recently installed eggbeaters on my MTB. I found that those drastically helped with the hills I encountered on my singletrack ride yesterday. Just make sure to drop to an easy gear when climbing a steep hill and that should help as well. Good luck!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
My other half had the same problem with clipless, she ended up going back to trainers, and i am thankful for that, i worried all the time i was out with her, but she is happy with trainers, although she has gone through about 4 pairs till she found a pair that felt right. she gets up all the hills so no probs, and i would say she is a proper cyclist.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As a teenager finding my way in to mountain biking it didn't take long before I experienced a few peanut/crossbar interface issues after feet slipped off the pedals on the bumpy downhill bits. I quickly installed clips and straps then eventually upgraded to SPD pedals and dedicated shoes once funds allowed. I would never go back, the feeling of oneness with the bike is perfect and when pedalling my foot is always in exactly the right place.
I do have a set of combined flats/SPD pedals on my hybrid and hate using them as flats, they're just so vague for foot positioning.

flissh

My other half had the same problem with clipless, she ended up going back to trainers, and i am thankful for that, i worried all the time i was out with her, but she is happy with trainers, although she has gone through about 4 pairs till she found a pair that felt right. she gets up all the hills so no probs, and i would say she is a proper cyclist.
Same with my other half. He tried, didn't really like them, fell off in traffic:eek:, luckily, fell toward the curb, but I spent the rest of the journey really worrying about him. Thankfully he has changed back to platform pedals and wears his trainers.

Top Bottom