Who is the most famous person you have met.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've met a few famous people, but I don't 'get' or buy into the whole celebrity thing.
They are just people doing a job. It just happens to be a (admittedly incredibly well paid) job that the media seem intent on ramming down our throats.

i.e. If Luis Suarez was a dog he'd have been put to sleep already! ;)

Cow Pie

Ryan Giggs - grew up in the same area and I regularly beat him at pool.

Played football against Paul Scholes (or rather he played against me). Met numerous professional football players due to family football connections.

Eric Cantona once bought me a Guinness when he spotted me wearing the only Man Utd in a pub... very nice chap indeed.

Ewan MaCGregor, Charley Boorman and some others, whose names fail me, when they visited us in Afghan.

Tony Hadley when he came to entertain us in Iraq. I missed the concert due to working. I was about to tuck into a very rarely served steak when I was asked to pick him up and take him to the mess. After parking the wagon up I returned to find him eating my "said" steak and it was the last one.... the barsteward!!

All of the Top Gear mob when they came to borrow our airfield and play with our planes.

Numerous royals through the years but the queen is probably the most famous. Very lazy woman. Couldn't even be arsed opening her own doors ;)

And lastly this and the previous Prime Minister (and the odd politician). One to say "keep fighting the war etc... and the other to say "thanks but we are making you all redundant but enjoy Afghan and have a jolly good Christmas.

Met a few over the years and some were absolutely great people and some utter no beds (edited for the children.... please won't someone think of the children)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Cliff Richard
Micheal Douglas
Telly Savalas
Christian Slater
Bob Monkhouse
David Jason.. several times
There's loads more I can't even remember

I used to regularly chat with Joe Bugner, Dave Boy Green and Andy Smith
I once bought a drink for Debbie Ash
I used to often meet John Major
I met Prince Charles on several occasions
I shared a table at a bicycle convention with Clive Sinclair
I was once mistaken for Richard Balantyne by Adam Hart Davis, who came up, shook my hand and said "Hello Richard"
I met Richard Ballantyne when I introduced Adam Hart Davis to him, nd on an umber of occasions after
Met Mike Burrows, Graeme Obree and Chris Boardman
Met most of the SKY team when They were in the same hotel (Wiggins era)

stephec

Legendary Member
I used to work in a photographic shop on Deansgate in Manchester so we'd get a lot from Granada studios.

From Coronation Street we had Bet Lynch, Gail Platt, and Derek who was much the same in real life. Ginger Jenny and Sally came in acting like a real pair of divas, they had an envelope with them full of loose change that was obviously a collection, and insisted on not adding £2.50 to it themselves to buy a much better pair of binoculars that I'd suggested instead of what the could get for the contents of the envelope.

Jack Duckworth was with them at the time and he was completely different, a really sound bloke.

Mavis Reilly came in once and we all looked at her and thought, "yeah she actually looks all right in real life." :smile:

We also had Robbie Coltrane when he was filming Cracker, top bloke.

Billy Connolly wasn't really in the mood to joke with us.

Tom Baker came in once and what a laugh he was, eccentric as fark, exactly as he was on the voiceovers for little Britain.

Paddy McGuinness walked past me in Boots once and smiled as he caught me looking at him, "what he didn't know as that I was thinking, "I know him from somewhere," not that I recognised him.

Best of all though, John McGinlay when he played for Bolton Wanderers, he parked next to me in Homebase car park the day before the last game of the 96/97 season.

Last edited:
I've travelled A LOT and FOR MANY YEARS and although I've never spoken to him, I ALWAYS see this nobber everywhere. He just bloody stares at me and it does me in, FFS :cursing: ;)

Ronald_mcdonald.jpg

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I spent a week dancing in Granada with Victoria Hislop (author, wife of Ian), lovely lady, nice mover and great dinner company too.

And I sat next to darling Carling Bassett once on a flight from Toronto to Miami, not long after she'd turned pro. Pleasant enough to chat too, if not the most stimulating company, but then again when you're heiress to a brewery empire ...

Top Bottom