Who watches the Boat Race?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm late to this one, have I missed the opportunity to put "nice legs, shame about the...."

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Watched it on YouTube.
I really did think, that in the ladies race, that Oxford were crowding Cambridge ratther too often. How many times did the Umpire lady call’Oxford’? Rather a lot, if you ask me. I am glad Cambridge won, the deserved too after they were pushed, to avoid a clash of blades. That would have been expensive!

It appeared that Cambridge, in the Men’s race were trying to do the same to Oxford. Not quite as often though. Dirty tactics all the same.

I rowed for a while but dirty, cheating tactics put me right off the sport fairly quickly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Watched it on YouTube.
I really did think, that in the ladies race, that Oxford were crowding Cambridge ratther too often. How many times did the Umpire lady call’Oxford’? Rather a lot, if you ask me. I am glad Cambridge won, the deserved too after they were pushed, to avoid a clash of blades. That would have been expensive!

It appeared that Cambridge, in the Men’s race were trying to do the same to Oxford. Not quite as often though. Dirty tactics all the same.

I rowed for a while but dirty, cheating tactics put me right off the sport fairly quickly.
I thought they were both good races, but the scenery was a bit lacking! The tactical stuff is pretty usual to a greater or lesser degree from what I have seen over the years.
Hopefully back to Londinium next year.....

I think if you watched any recent Thames-based race you would notice near-constant warnings from the Referee. I've no idea how to judge how "dirty" either cox is playing. All I know is that there is generally a best/fastest line, and both boats can't be on it! Do we have any 'sperts on-board?

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really, many of the rowers these days aren’t actually British and certainly not from the aristocracy

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I thought they were both good races, but the scenery was a bit lacking! The tactical stuff is pretty usual to a greater or lesser degree from what I have seen over the years.
Hopefully back to Londinium next year.....
Ely to Littleport is as dull as hell. Not sure what’s worse, cycling it or rowing it :laugh:

Bike bud said if he had been umpiring the Women’s race that he would have red flagged Oxford after 5 calls. He is/was a rowing coach and rowed competitively at club level and for the RAF. Was coach of the year a few years back so probably knows what he’s on about.

Last edited:
Ely to Littleport is as dull as hell. Not sure what’s worse, cycling it or rowing it :laugh:

Bike bud said if he had been umpiring the Women’s race that he would have red flagged Oxford after 5 calls. He is/was a rowing coach and rowed competitively at club level and for the RAF. Was coach of the year a few years back so probably knows what he’s on about.

That's interesting. We've all seen how easily someone gets DQ*d in a bunch sprint for deviating from their line - I was wondering what you'd need to do in rowing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Not nowadays.
I am not a toff. The people at the club where I rowed are not posh. One of the past juniors there has been picked up by Team GB. She’s not posh :smile:
Agree, I rowed for a term and I'm far from posh. I did find it a bit dull though and had other sports to pursue. One of my friends still row and she hails from Rochdale, the antithesis of posh :whistle: it may surprise some of the ignoranti that they let people from state schools into Oxbridge nowadays, and having a duke in your family is no longer a pre-requisite.

Despite the dull course, both good races and no-one got clear water ahead, which is pretty much race over when it happens, especially on the Thames. It hard for the umpire, as if you do disqualify someone, that's it for the year and its a massive call to make (Has a crew ever been DQ'd? I think if I were umpiring, I'd only want to do that if there was a clash of blades that disadvantaged a crew, and then its a fair resolution. To be honest the stream and depth effect on that course is minimal compared to the Thames, where its a huge advantage to get into the strongest tidal effect.

it may surprise some of the ignoranti that they let people from state schools into Oxbridge nowadays, and having a duke in your family is no longer a pre-requisite.

It's a sad fact the every year thousands of very bright young people from less advantaged backgrounds are put off from applying to Oxford or Cambridge by inaccurate 'posh only' stereotypes. Stereotypes usually advanced by those who claim to champion the interests of the less advantaged.

Top Bottom