Who wears a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Not wasted if it prevents a fractured skull, as mine did a few years ago. Came off on some ice, head flicked back onto tarmac, helmet cracked. Skull didn't.

£25.99 well spent.
Even accepting that your helmet prevented a fractured skull - and you've said nothing that convinces me - it's statistically unlikely that the OP will have a similar incident. Cycling is safe, even more so if you cycle with your wits about you.

Not wasted if it prevents a fractured skull, as mine did a few years ago. Came off on some ice, head flicked back onto tarmac, helmet cracked. Skull didn't.

£25.99 well spent.
Which is really an excellent argument for you to wear a helmet when icy.........and walking

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Ill be commuting around 20 miles a day through the small town I live in mixed with 2 train journeys. I've purchased a 25.99 helmet and am just wondering how many of you do or don't wear helmets?

What an odd question! How will it enhance/ detract or otherwise alter your journey(s) to know how many people ( of those that reply) wear helmets?

fossala

Guru
I do, and that I'm happy I do. As some of you may know I got in a bad accident a couple of months ago and broke a lot of bones. Looking at my helmet when I got out of hospital I'm happy I was wearing it. There where 2 huge cracks along the side of it. I'm thankful that the helmet took the impact and not my skull.

Paddygt

I bet all these hard people who don't wear helmets as some weird statement of freedom etc don't use oven gloves, never wear safety glasses when grinding steel, leave long leads on kettles so that their kids can toughen up and get used to the knocks. Same arguments that were about before seat belts were made compulsory. I have lived 61 years without a car accident so statistically, I don't need a seat belt using the above argument. I am only glad they made motorcycle helmets compulsory as one saved my life in the 1980s having rode tens of thousands of miles without one, it only took that one time.

No, a helmet is not going to save you in all cases but there are cases when it will and I would rather wear one just in case it is that one case I have thank you very much.

Let's face it, the only real argument about not wearing a helmet is vanity. That is your choice but do not try and make people feel they should not wear one just because you don't like the look please.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I bet all these hard people who don't wear helmets as some weird statement of freedom etc don't use oven gloves, never wear safety glasses when grinding steel, leave long leads on kettles so that their kids can toughen up and get used to the knocks. Same arguments that were about before seat belts were made compulsory. I have lived 61 years without a car accident so statistically, I don't need a seat belt using the above argument. I am only glad they made motorcycle helmets compulsory as one saved my life in the 1980s having rode tens of thousands of miles without one, it only took that one time.

No, a helmet is not going to save you in all cases but there are cases when it will and I would rather wear one just in case it is that one case I have thank you very much.

Let's face it, the only real argument about not wearing a helmet is vanity. That is your choice but do not try and make people feel they should not wear one just because you don't like the look please.
I don't wear a helmet unless required to do so eg track cycling.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly vain either, I just don't like wearing a helmet. Now if there was evidence it would help, I may think about it but there isn't. (Anecdotal references to "I crashed and now my helmet is cracked" does not prove in anyway that damage would have been done to the skull if not wearing a helmet). I personally hit a very big truck head first without a helmet. My skull didn't break.

mattsr

Even accepting that your helmet prevented a fractured skull - and you've said nothing that convinces me - it's statistically unlikely that the OP will have a similar incident. Cycling is safe, even more so if you cycle with your wits about you.

Well, my head flicked back at quite a rate and impacted the tarmac with sufficient force to crack the back of my cycle helmet. I therefore think it is a reasonable supposition that it almost certainly would have cracked my skull. But any severe blow to the head can have very serious consequences, even days later, so there is no doubt in my mind that the helmet performed a useful function that day. I haven't had a car since 2009, and have commuted almost daily on my bike, in all weathers, since then. This has been my only accident. So I know cycling is safe, and I do keep my wits about me. But on this one occasion, my helmet saved me from a potentially severe injury. That is why it is money well spent.

(And I won't be wearing a helmet when walking on ice, cunobelin. My accident would not have happened had I not been on a bike.) :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom