Who wears a helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I bet all these hard people who don't wear helmets as some weird statement of freedom etc don't use oven gloves, never wear safety glasses when grinding steel, leave long leads on kettles so that their kids can toughen up and get used to the knocks. Same arguments that were about before seat belts were made compulsory. I have lived 61 years without a car accident so statistically, I don't need a seat belt using the above argument. I am only glad they made motorcycle helmets compulsory as one saved my life in the 1980s having rode tens of thousands of miles without one, it only took that one time.

No, a helmet is not going to save you in all cases but there are cases when it will and I would rather wear one just in case it is that one case I have thank you very much.

Let's face it, the only real argument about not wearing a helmet is vanity. That is your choice but do not try and make people feel they should not wear one just because you don't like the look please.

Oh do get over yourself. No one is trying to make you feel you shouldn't wear one if you want - just don't lecture those of us who don't or expect us to be impressed by irrelevant comparisons, half-baked arguments and the usual tedious mixture of "common sense" and paternalism. Helmet evangelists are boring.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I wear one mostly couldnt care less what others do .

One thing I notice is that in cycling events where helmets are NOT compulsory the huge majority still choose to wear them.
Cycling events where helmets ARE cumpulsory still seem to attract huge numbers of entrants.

A modern helmet is so light and ventilated I forget its there once out on the road.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Well, my head flicked back at quite a rate and impacted the tarmac with sufficient force to crack the back of my cycle helmet. I therefore think it is a reasonable supposition that it almost certainly would have cracked my skull. But any severe blow to the head can have very serious consequences, even days later, so there is no doubt in my mind that the helmet performed a useful function that day. I haven't had a car since 2009, and have commuted almost daily on my bike, in all weathers, since then. This has been my only accident. So I know cycling is safe, and I do keep my wits about me. But on this one occasion, my helmet saved me from a potentially severe injury. That is why it is money well spent.

(And I won't be wearing a helmet when walking on ice, cunobelin. My accident would not have happened had I not been on a bike.) :wacko:

I'll just point out that your skull is much stronger than your helmet.

I'm not saying it definitely didn't save you from a fractured skull, but it's just as impossible to state that it definitely did save you.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I bet all these hard people who don't wear helmets as some weird statement of freedom etc don't use oven gloves, never wear safety glasses when grinding steel, leave long leads on kettles so that their kids can toughen up and get used to the knocks. Same arguments that were about before seat belts were made compulsory. I have lived 61 years without a car accident so statistically, I don't need a seat belt using the above argument. I am only glad they made motorcycle helmets compulsory as one saved my life in the 1980s having rode tens of thousands of miles without one, it only took that one time.

No, a helmet is not going to save you in all cases but there are cases when it will and I would rather wear one just in case it is that one case I have thank you very much.

Let's face it, the only real argument about not wearing a helmet is vanity. That is your choice but do not try and make people feel they should not wear one just because you don't like the look please.

You win the prize for the most condescending post of the year so far.

Licramite

Über Member
I do (always) - as do many others so if you feel you should - do. And don't let anyone tell you not to, because they will say they don't work or will actually increase your chance of an injury (yea some people really believe that and have figures to prove it) - if they don't wear them good luck to them, but it's a personel safety issue, its up to you. - and hopefully you will never need it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
2257975 said:
Does anyone else feel that a sticky to address the stuff that comes up time and time again might be useful?
Yes. Good luck with getting something that can be agreed upon.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bet all these hard people who don't wear helmets as some weird statement of freedom etc don't use oven gloves, never wear safety glasses when grinding steel, [etc]

my oh my, i hope you're not in the legal profession with an argument like that.

If i don't use oven gloves, I'll get burnt every time i get something out of the oven.

If i don't use a helmet when cycling, I won't crack my skull every time i ride my bike.

If i don't wear safety goggles when using my grinder, there's a big chance something will hit me in the eye because i can feel bit's of stuff hitting my face every time i use my grinder.

my risk assessment says;
Oven gloves, yes,
safety goggles, yes,
helmet when cycling on normal roads, no.
helmet when bombing down MTB routes... in theory, yes, but i don't do that type of cycling.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Oh do get over yourself. No one is trying to make you feel you shouldn't wear one if you want - just don't lecture those of us who don't or expect us to be impressed by irrelevant comparisons, half-baked arguments and the usual tedious mixture of "common sense" and paternalism. Helmet evangelists are boring.
and repetative, and obvious.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
I do (always) - as do many others so if you feel you should - do. And don't let anyone tell you not to, because they will say they don't work or will actually increase your chance of an injury (yea some people really believe that and have figures to prove it) - if they don't wear them good luck to them, but it's a personel safety issue, its up to you. - and hopefully you will never need it.
Let's see , this is the 39th post, and so far what is the grand total of those telling anyone not to wear a helmet? err i't's an odd No less than 1!

In 16 yrs of helmet wars I don't think I have ever seen anyone telling somene else not to wear a helmet, I would be interested in seeing examples if you disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom