Who's at fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Last Thursday whilst walking under Leeds train station, I received a hit to the arm from the handlebars of a bike being ridden, at speed, on the pavement.
Immediate result of this was the person riding the bike hit the railings to my right. His mate, following close behind, managed to avoid both of us by taking to the wrong side of the road at the crossing Straight into two lanes of stationary traffic. The rider that collided with the railings wasn't pleased & only hung around long enough to say what he thought I should have done.
Assuming I had seen him in time, other than stopping, there was no-where to move to. To my left a steel pole & beyond that a mobility scooter then a wall. So limited options on where to move to.

Who was at fault for what happenned?

Cubist

Still wavin'
Thatcher.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Is this one of your riddles?
The answer is obvious, you were hit by someone who shouldnt have been on the pavement, how can this be your fault?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I asked because many see nothing wrong with riding on the footpath.

On CC?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I suspect even those people would agree bigger and/or heavier and/or faster vehicles on roads have a duty of care to the more vulnerable in the same space. Why should pavements be different?

On the waterways power gives way to sail.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I asked because many see nothing wrong with riding on the footpath.
I thought those of us who think riding on the footpath is OK, only think so when the rider is being responsible, and giving pedestrians right of way. I ride on the footpaths too but i certainly wouldn't end up hitting anyone.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I thought those of us who think riding on the footpath is OK, only think so when the rider is being responsible, and giving pedestrians right of way. I ride on the footpaths too but i certainly wouldn't end up hitting anyone.
I think he was expecting me to be able to move and just allow them to go past. That wasn't possible.
This time everyone involved was lucky, no major injuries.

Made clear to me, by the person riding the bike, that it was my fault.

Top Bottom