Who's in the wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sorry if it's been posted before. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5408529/Dramatic-footage-shows-cyclist-crashing-car.html To those who don't like clicking onto Daily Mail links,the story's about a car turning left into a police station when a bike approaching at speed on the car's inside collides with the car. The driver was indicating and did the maneuver in a correct way,as far as i can see. I think the cyclist was maybe going a bit too fast,but then we only have a few seconds of video to decide.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Looking at that clip the cycle lane has a broken white line at the point of the turning so the car is in effect turning into another road / crossing a lane so should have given way .
The lycra clad cyclist that isn't clad in lycra should have really seen this was going to happen though .

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I haven't seen the video but if the driver was intending to turn left, even with his indicator on, he should have checked his left mirror before turning. That's all I can say without seeing the video. ( It won't play on my kindle).

davidphilips

Veteran
Difficult call? All i could say i would hope that if i had been either the driver or the cyclist i may have been able to avoid the collision?

There was a story in the local Bangor Spectator a few weeks ago about a cyclist that was killed on the Newtownards to Bangor carriageway early one morning last year (very well light road) the driver said he was blowing his nose and did not see the cyclist, the judge said to let that be a warning to cyclists to wear bright clothing and make sure they had lights fitted?
Yes the cyclist did not have lights but it was a very well light road at 5.50am with no other traffic so the trend seems to be cyclists are in the wrong even if the driver is careless?

So motto is treat every driver as dangerous and if they are good then great.

broady

Veteran
If the driver had done it on their driving test would they have still passed??
I think that's the answer

bpsmith

Veteran
If the driver had done it on their driving test would they have still passed??
I think that's the answer
I can’t imagine anyone who is involved in a crash on their test, regardless to blame, would actually get a pass on the day. At best they would be rescheduled.

Jimidh

Veteran
I think both are at fault - yes the driver should have checked but equally if the cyclist was paying attention to what was going on about him then he should have anticipated the driver was about to make a bad move and act accordingly.

I always tell people you are better keep out of the way of idiots and stay safe even when you are in the right.

Top Bottom