Who's in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Accy cyclist, 19 Feb 2018.

1. Sorry if it's been posted before. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5408529/Dramatic-footage-shows-cyclist-crashing-car.html To those who don't like clicking onto Daily Mail links,the story's about a car turning left into a police station when a bike approaching at speed on the car's inside collides with the car. The driver was indicating and did the maneuver in a correct way,as far as i can see. I think the cyclist was maybe going a bit too fast,but then we only have a few seconds of video to decide.

2. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Looking at that clip the cycle lane has a broken white line at the point of the turning so the car is in effect turning into another road / crossing a lane so should have given way .
    The lycra clad cyclist that isn't clad in lycra should have really seen this was going to happen though .

dhd.evans, mjr and Accy cyclist like this.
  3. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

I haven't seen the video but if the driver was intending to turn left, even with his indicator on, he should have checked his left mirror before turning. That's all I can say without seeing the video. ( It won't play on my kindle).

HLaB, Tin Pot and Accy cyclist like this.
  4. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

It doesn't matter whose fault it was. The cyclist could have avoided that.

HLaB, NorthernDave, Banjo and 6 others like this.
  5. Slick

Slick Veteran

How anyone can blame the cyclist for that is beyond me. Even the headline is beyond me, what's the bobble hat got to do with some halfwit turning across the path of other traffic?

raleighnut, classic33 and mjr like this.
  6. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

Footage doesn’t tell you anything.

It’s just click bait.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Drago likes this.
  7. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

As should the motorist...

Cycleops and Slick like this.
  8. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

Irrelevant.

9. Slick

Slick Veteran

Wow.

10. davidphilips

davidphilips Senior Member

Difficult call? All i could say i would hope that if i had been either the driver or the cyclist i may have been able to avoid the collision?

There was a story in the local Bangor Spectator a few weeks ago about a cyclist that was killed on the Newtownards to Bangor carriageway early one morning last year (very well light road) the driver said he was blowing his nose and did not see the cyclist, the judge said to let that be a warning to cyclists to wear bright clothing and make sure they had lights fitted?
    Yes the cyclist did not have lights but it was a very well light road at 5.50am with no other traffic so the trend seems to be cyclists are in the wrong even if the driver is careless?

So motto is treat every driver as dangerous and if they are good then great.

Banjo, ADarkDraconis and classic33 like this.
  11. broady

broady Über Member

If the driver had done it on their driving test would they have still passed??
    I think that's the answer

12. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Driver could have looked and avoided it.

Cyclist could also have slowed down; the car was indicating.

Legally the driver's at fault, but this was avoidable.

HLaB, Banjo, ADarkDraconis and 2 others like this.
  13. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

wow just wow
    Self-parodying phrase commonly uttered by intellectually sheltered political ideologues expressing visceral contempt for ideas they can't logically rebut

;)

hoopdriver likes this.
  14. Slick

Slick Veteran

Or, just she'll shocked and didn't expect to come across such attitudes on a cycling forum about cyclists.;)

Tin Pot likes this.
  15. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Easy decision, both to blame... or at fault if you prefer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice