1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Accy cyclist, 19 Feb 2018.

1. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

Easiest way to sum up these and other DM articles of this ilk is they are 50/50 clickbait that get people revved up and arguing. Both are at fault in some way but ultimately the fault (in insurance terms) lies with the driver who crossed the lane.
    Slick and Cycleops like this.
  2. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Each failed to mitigate the other's mistake. And the bike lane's rubbish.
    confusedcyclist likes this.
  3. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

Link here for non-DM users: https://swd.media/ireland/moment-cyclist-wiped-police-officer-turns-car-station-1-12288/

I take the same view as the driver who filmed the incident:
    "My take on the accident is that a vehicle wishing to cross a traffic lane, must give way to all traffic in that lane.
    So if a vehicle wishes to cross a cycle lane, they must yield to all bicycles in that lane and wait for the lane to be clear before crossing.”
    Slick, Cycleops, classic33 and 3 others like this.
  4. You cannot shout out "It was my right of way" when they are hammering the nails into your coffin.

The cyclist should have at least seen it coming and reacted.
    Vantage and bpsmith like this.
  5. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Cyclist not paying attention, observation error.
    Car driver not paying attention,checking mirror

Both at fault, tho the car driver should be more to blame simply as he was changing direction
    mjr likes this.
  6. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Dublin, cycle lane use is mandatory, in parts.

But, as over here you're approaching an Emergency Facility(fire/ambulance station) you'd expect that there may be sudden traffic from the left.

Internal link added.
    Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
    Slick likes this.
  7. Duffy

Duffy Active Member

I'm of an opinion that there's blame on both sides here.
    From the whole, practical wanting to stay alive thing however, undertaking (at speed) any vehicle in front of you that's clearly indicating to go left is a good start on the darwinian self selection process.......
    Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
    bpsmith likes this.
  8. classic33

A view of where the cars had stopped, and possibly why. Traffic lights at a junction.

The piece about the bobble cap as mentioned earlier now makes sense.
  9. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

The indicator can be seen only once the Toyota driver begins his manoeuvre to cut off the cyclist's path. It's an assumption that it was on prior to that, as I frequently observe drivers who only connect with the indicator stalk as their hand passes it while already starting the turn.

Toyota driver begins his turn across the lane just 2 seconds before impact so cyclist would already be very close and there to be seen.
  10. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

Except we don’t know that as can’t see the drivers view and the footage has a very narrow view. You might be correct, or the cyclist may have appeared from around a bend or from another street. Impossible to say.
  11. classic33

Street is fairly straight, with parking just before the point of impact, on the left-hand side. See above post with picture of the road.
    Slick, Smeggers II and glasgowcyclist like this.
  12. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

Yup. That pic changes everything in that respect. We didn’t know this when I posted.
    Slick likes this.
  13. It's the drivers fault. He's changed/ crossed a lane without looking. However as has been mentioned several times, I doubt if the cyclist is hurting any less because of it.
    Slick likes this.
  14. classic33

But its use is mandatory.
    Slick likes this.
  15. classic33

2008 Toyota Corolla NG 1.4 Terra CBU
    4 Door Saloon
    FUEL TYPE Petrol
    COLOUR Blue ?

Plate could do with a clean though.