Who's in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Accy cyclist, 19 Feb 2018.

1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

A view of where the cars had stopped, and possibly why. Traffic lights at a junction.
    Sundrive.jpg

The piece about the bobble cap as mentioned earlier now makes sense.

2. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

The indicator can be seen only once the Toyota driver begins his manoeuvre to cut off the cyclist's path. It's an assumption that it was on prior to that, as I frequently observe drivers who only connect with the indicator stalk as their hand passes it while already starting the turn.

Toyota driver begins his turn across the lane just 2 seconds before impact so cyclist would already be very close and there to be seen.

3. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

Except we don’t know that as can’t see the drivers view and the footage has a very narrow view. You might be correct, or the cyclist may have appeared from around a bend or from another street. Impossible to say.

4. classic33

Street is fairly straight, with parking just before the point of impact, on the left-hand side. See above post with picture of the road.

Slick, Smeggers II and glasgowcyclist like this.
  5. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

Yup. That pic changes everything in that respect. We didn’t know this when I posted.

Slick likes this.
  6. It's the drivers fault. He's changed/ crossed a lane without looking. However as has been mentioned several times, I doubt if the cyclist is hurting any less because of it.

Slick likes this.
  7. classic33

But its use is mandatory.

Slick likes this.
  8. classic33

2008 Toyota Corolla NG 1.4 Terra CBU
    BODY TYPE
    4 Door Saloon
    FUEL TYPE Petrol
    COLOUR Blue ?
    TRANSMISSION Manual

Plate could do with a clean though.

08 MO 1430

Last edited: 21 Feb 2018
  9. Roadhump

Roadhump Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted

Perhaps the driver did look, but missed the cyclist in his blind spot, without the aid of an in cab camera, we can't know for certain. There is a big issue about HGV driver's being unable to see cyclists in their rear view mirror, which is made worse due to the size and shape of their vehicles, but car drivers also suffer from blind spots.

That is very worrying, it removes any discretion for the cyclist to move to a different road position to increase their safety. I hope nothing as ridiculous is ever introduced in the UK.

10. davidphilips

davidphilips Über Member

That is very worrying, it removes any discretion for the cyclist to move to a different road position to increase their safety. I hope nothing as ridiculous is ever introduced in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Is the bike lane mandatory? Is that in Belfast and part of the UK? Have not cycled in that part of Belfast in years but maybe a failing on my part but how do you know if a cycle lane is mandatory?

11. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Blind spots are often quoted as though they were some mystical, unpredictable phenomenon. A blind spot and its extent are the responsibility of that vehicle's operator. And as Reg points out, blind spots can be mitigated by appropriate adjustment of head/body by the driver.

The line of the cyclist's approach relative to the Toyota driver's position (i.e. parallel and offset by about 1 metre at the most) would make him visible in a correctly adjusted nearside mirror.

12. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

I think you mean 'and' rather than 'but'.

13. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

The UK keeps trying. Last time, the attempt was weakened to "Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer." - which is highly debatable. Snipers shooting all motorists who close-passed would seem more likely to "make your journey safer."

www.rulesoftheroad.ie if you want to see the full horror: "Cyclists must use any cycle track provided." (Emphasis theirs.) You can tell pretty much from the outset of the cycling section that the rule authors are sadistic nobbers by "Your bicycle should be the right size to allow you to touch the ground with both feet" which has probably condemned lots of tall young Irish people to uncomfortable riding on bikes that are too small for them.

14. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Or in other words, cars do NOT have old-HGV-style blind spots that the driver cannot see through any combination of mirrors or direct observation+movement. No mirror provides complete coverage, but that's why you don't rely on one (or even two) mirrors.

And as noted, that cyclist would have been visible in the side mirror until relatively late.

15. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

To further complicate things, there appears to be some debate about how accurately the 'rules of the road' interprets the actual law, and also about how clear the law is anyway, having possibly been modified by guidance given by a minister.

http://irishcycle.com/2016/07/22/ru...advice-from-department-of-transport-says-rsa/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice