Who's in the wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
So we should stop mentioning that both parties are to blame and let the poor decent honest hard working normal tax paying law abiding ordinary motorists who don't want to pay their speeding fines or look before crossing another lane to their left... off scot free to avoid tiring some people out?

Maddest reason yet?

While technically the driver is at fault, the cyclist is riding too fast for the conditions and apparently with no awareness of what is going on around him and no anticipation of what might happen.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just had a quick look at the highway code and it seems the dashed white line is seen as the same as the dashed line in the middle of the road .
The cycle lanes around here have double dashed lines at every junction so the cyclist stops . I prefer to use the road .

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5157105, member: 45"]From the HC-
The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

You're still attributing to me something I'm not saying.[/QUOTE]
Haha... lucky guess there on the sig contents!

Can't you see how quoting only that bit seems like saying it's up to everyone else to give way to you regardless of the actual rules, to help avoid an incident?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5157105, member: 45"]Turn your phone to landscape and you'll see..
[/QUOTE]
No, see
Screenshot_2018-02-19-22-20-35.png

bpsmith

Veteran
The “right of way” arguments always show up. Some people’s ideas on what this constitutes are amazing. You get this sort of attitude on the roads every day.

On a roundabout, for example, many people latch on to the give way to the right guideline. That’s fine and generally works, but at some point the person making a manoeuvre then gains priority. Like when there’s somebody at every entrance and everyone looks at each other before one person decides to move. They have priority at that point, even though there’s somebody to their right. It’s just common sense, but some people approach at higher speeds and try and bully their way through.

The OP’s scenario is the same. The driver has clearly approached properly, indicated and been patient without blocking the bike lane. They’ve then slowly moved across when safe to do so. At that point, they have priority, and the cyclist should give way to them. In this instance the rider appears to have had plenty of time to make various decisions on how to approach the driver. He may, or may not, be travelling within the speed limit but he’s clearly not travelling at a safe speed for the traffic shown.

Blame or not though, sometimes these accidents can be well and truly avoided. People are just stubborn, whether driver or rider, or both.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The OP’s scenario is the same. The driver has clearly approached properly, indicated and been patient without blocking the bike lane. They’ve then slowly moved across when safe to do so.
Except it clearly wasn’t. The driver hadn’t checked his/her mirror properly. The bike was obviously travelling too fast for the conditions. I do agree with your final comment though.

Jody

Stubborn git
Easiest way to sum up these and other DM articles of this ilk is they are 50/50 clickbait that get people revved up and arguing. Both are at fault in some way but ultimately the fault (in insurance terms) lies with the driver who crossed the lane.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Link here for non-DM users: https://swd.media/ireland/moment-cyclist-wiped-police-officer-turns-car-station-1-12288/

I take the same view as the driver who filmed the incident:
"My take on the accident is that a vehicle wishing to cross a traffic lane, must give way to all traffic in that lane.
So if a vehicle wishes to cross a cycle lane, they must yield to all bicycles in that lane and wait for the lane to be clear before crossing.”

Levo-Lon

Guru
Cyclist not paying attention, observation error.
Car driver not paying attention,checking mirror

Both at fault, tho the car driver should be more to blame simply as he was changing direction

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
Its the ROI, and I don't know in detail what their rules are.

Were it the UK I'd have said the car driver was at fault. However, the cyclist was HUA and could have avoided it had they been paying attention instead of doing the standard eyes-dead-ahead tunnel vision thing - death and disability don't care who's "fault" it is.
Dublin, cycle lane use is mandatory, in parts.

But, as over here you're approaching an Emergency Facility(fire/ambulance station) you'd expect that there may be sudden traffic from the left.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...-cyclist-left-unable-to-speak-or-walk.218116/

Internal link added.

Last edited:

Duffy

Über Member
I'm of an opinion that there's blame on both sides here.
From the whole, practical wanting to stay alive thing however, undertaking (at speed) any vehicle in front of you that's clearly indicating to go left is a good start on the darwinian self selection process.......

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
A view of where the cars had stopped, and possibly why. Traffic lights at a junction.
Sundrive.jpg

The piece about the bobble cap as mentioned earlier now makes sense.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
clearly indicating to go left

The indicator can be seen only once the Toyota driver begins his manoeuvre to cut off the cyclist's path. It's an assumption that it was on prior to that, as I frequently observe drivers who only connect with the indicator stalk as their hand passes it while already starting the turn.

Toyota driver begins his turn across the lane just 2 seconds before impact so cyclist would already be very close and there to be seen.

Top Bottom