Who's in the wrong?

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Accy cyclist, 19 Feb 2018.

1. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Sigs aren't shown to mobiles and @User has hidden his profile. Does the sig imply it's everyone else's responsibility to avoid him crashing into them?

Slick likes this.
  2. boydj

boydj Veteran

While technically the driver is at fault, the cyclist is riding too fast for the conditions and apparently with no awareness of what is going on around him and no anticipation of what might happen.

3. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Just had a quick look at the highway code and it seems the dashed white line is seen as the same as the dashed line in the middle of the road .
    The cycle lanes around here have double dashed lines at every junction so the cyclist stops . I prefer to use the road .

mjr likes this.
  4. mjr

[QUOTE 5157105, member: 45"]From the HC-
    The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident.

You're still attributing to me something I'm not saying.[/QUOTE]
    Haha... lucky guess there on the sig contents!

Can't you see how quoting only that bit seems like saying it's up to everyone else to give way to you regardless of the actual rules, to help avoid an incident?

classic33 and Slick like this.
  5. mjr

[QUOTE 5157105, member: 45"]Turn your phone to landscape and you'll see..
    [/QUOTE]
    No, see
    Screenshot_2018-02-19-22-20-35.png

6. bpsmith

bpsmith Veteran

The “right of way” arguments always show up. Some people’s ideas on what this constitutes are amazing. You get this sort of attitude on the roads every day.

On a roundabout, for example, many people latch on to the give way to the right guideline. That’s fine and generally works, but at some point the person making a manoeuvre then gains priority. Like when there’s somebody at every entrance and everyone looks at each other before one person decides to move. They have priority at that point, even though there’s somebody to their right. It’s just common sense, but some people approach at higher speeds and try and bully their way through.

The OP’s scenario is the same. The driver has clearly approached properly, indicated and been patient without blocking the bike lane. They’ve then slowly moved across when safe to do so. At that point, they have priority, and the cyclist should give way to them. In this instance the rider appears to have had plenty of time to make various decisions on how to approach the driver. He may, or may not, be travelling within the speed limit but he’s clearly not travelling at a safe speed for the traffic shown.

Blame or not though, sometimes these accidents can be well and truly avoided. People are just stubborn, whether driver or rider, or both.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2018
  7. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Except it clearly wasn’t. The driver hadn’t checked his/her mirror properly. The bike was obviously travelling too fast for the conditions. I do agree with your final comment though.

Slick likes this.
  8. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

Easiest way to sum up these and other DM articles of this ilk is they are 50/50 clickbait that get people revved up and arguing. Both are at fault in some way but ultimately the fault (in insurance terms) lies with the driver who crossed the lane.

Slick and Cycleops like this.
  9. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Each failed to mitigate the other's mistake. And the bike lane's rubbish.

confusedcyclist likes this.
  10. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

Link here for non-DM users: https://swd.media/ireland/moment-cyclist-wiped-police-officer-turns-car-station-1-12288/

I take the same view as the driver who filmed the incident:
    "My take on the accident is that a vehicle wishing to cross a traffic lane, must give way to all traffic in that lane.
    So if a vehicle wishes to cross a cycle lane, they must yield to all bicycles in that lane and wait for the lane to be clear before crossing.”

Slick, Cycleops, classic33 and 3 others like this.
  11. You cannot shout out "It was my right of way" when they are hammering the nails into your coffin.

The cyclist should have at least seen it coming and reacted.

Vantage and bpsmith like this.
  12. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Cyclist not paying attention, observation error.
    Car driver not paying attention,checking mirror

Both at fault, tho the car driver should be more to blame simply as he was changing direction

mjr likes this.
  13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Dublin, cycle lane use is mandatory, in parts.

But, as over here you're approaching an Emergency Facility(fire/ambulance station) you'd expect that there may be sudden traffic from the left.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/s...-cyclist-left-unable-to-speak-or-walk.218116/

Internal link added.

Slick likes this.
  14. Duffy

Duffy Active Member

I'm of an opinion that there's blame on both sides here.
    From the whole, practical wanting to stay alive thing however, undertaking (at speed) any vehicle in front of you that's clearly indicating to go left is a good start on the darwinian self selection process.......

bpsmith likes this.
  15. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

A view of where the cars had stopped, and possibly why. Traffic lights at a junction.
    Sundrive.jpg

The piece about the bobble cap as mentioned earlier now makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice