Who's in the wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Except it clearly wasn’t. The driver hadn’t checked his/her mirror properly. The bike was obviously travelling too fast for the conditions. I do agree with your final comment though.
Except we don’t know that as can’t see the drivers view and the footage has a very narrow view. You might be correct, or the cyclist may have appeared from around a bend or from another street. Impossible to say.

classic33

Leg End Member
Except we don’t know that as can’t see the drivers view and the footage has a very narrow view. You might be correct, or the cyclist may have appeared from around a bend or from another street. Impossible to say.
Street is fairly straight, with parking just before the point of impact, on the left-hand side. See above post with picture of the road.

classic33

Leg End Member
2008 Toyota Corolla NG 1.4 Terra CBU
BODY TYPE
4 Door Saloon
FUEL TYPE Petrol
COLOUR Blue ?
TRANSMISSION Manual

Plate could do with a clean though.

08 MO 1430

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
It's the drivers fault. He's changed/ crossed a lane without looking. However as has been mentioned several times, I doubt if the cyclist is hurting any less because of it.

Perhaps the driver did look, but missed the cyclist in his blind spot, without the aid of an in cab camera, we can't know for certain. There is a big issue about HGV driver's being unable to see cyclists in their rear view mirror, which is made worse due to the size and shape of their vehicles, but car drivers also suffer from blind spots.

But its use is mandatory.

That is very worrying, it removes any discretion for the cyclist to move to a different road position to increase their safety. I hope nothing as ridiculous is ever introduced in the UK.

davidphilips

Veteran
That is very worrying, it removes any discretion for the cyclist to move to a different road position to increase their safety. I hope nothing as ridiculous is ever introduced in the UK.[/QUOTE]

Is the bike lane mandatory? Is that in Belfast and part of the UK? Have not cycled in that part of Belfast in years but maybe a failing on my part but how do you know if a cycle lane is mandatory?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Perhaps the driver did look, but missed the cyclist in his blind spot

Blind spots are often quoted as though they were some mystical, unpredictable phenomenon. A blind spot and its extent are the responsibility of that vehicle's operator. And as Reg points out, blind spots can be mitigated by appropriate adjustment of head/body by the driver.

The line of the cyclist's approach relative to the Toyota driver's position (i.e. parallel and offset by about 1 metre at the most) would make him visible in a correctly adjusted nearside mirror.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That is very worrying, it removes any discretion for the cyclist to move to a different road position to increase their safety. I hope nothing as ridiculous is ever introduced in the UK.
The UK keeps trying. Last time, the attempt was weakened to "Keep within the lane when practicable. When leaving a cycle lane check before pulling out that it is safe to do so and signal your intention clearly to other road users. Use of cycle lanes is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer." - which is highly debatable. Snipers shooting all motorists who close-passed would seem more likely to "make your journey safer."

www.rulesoftheroad.ie if you want to see the full horror: "Cyclists must use any cycle track provided." (Emphasis theirs.) You can tell pretty much from the outset of the cycling section that the rule authors are sadistic nobbers by "Your bicycle should be the right size to allow you to touch the ground with both feet" which has probably condemned lots of tall young Irish people to uncomfortable riding on bikes that are too small for them.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Blind spots are often quoted as though they were some mystical, unpredictable phenomenon. A blind spot and its extent are the responsibility of that vehicle's operator. And as Reg points out, blind spots can be mitigated by appropriate adjustment of head/body by the driver.
Or in other words, cars do NOT have old-HGV-style blind spots that the driver cannot see through any combination of mirrors or direct observation+movement. No mirror provides complete coverage, but that's why you don't rely on one (or even two) mirrors.

And as noted, that cyclist would have been visible in the side mirror until relatively late.

winjim

Smash the cistern
www.rulesoftheroad.ie if you want to see the full horror: "Cyclists must use any cycle track provided." (Emphasis theirs.) You can tell pretty much from the outset of the cycling section that the rule authors are sadistic nobbers by "Your bicycle should be the right size to allow you to touch the ground with both feet" which has probably condemned lots of tall young Irish people to uncomfortable riding on bikes that are too small for them.
To further complicate things, there appears to be some debate about how accurately the 'rules of the road' interprets the actual law, and also about how clear the law is anyway, having possibly been modified by guidance given by a minister.

http://irishcycle.com/2016/07/22/ru...advice-from-department-of-transport-says-rsa/

A signal doesn't give you the priority so I'd say the driver is 100% at fault but the cyclist was 99% the injured party (I assume the driver has a conscious and that was hurt too) and the cyclist should have 100% avoided it :ohmy: Typical Daily Mail hate though publishing deliberately something that'll be divisive :-(

Top Bottom