Who's REALLY done the 'end to end'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Just curious really LEJOG is fine but how many have really gone from end to end by starting at Dunnet head ?

Ajay

Veteran
You'd really need to finish at the Lizard if you were doing a north/south end to end
DH2LP

Ajay

Veteran
Exactly, my understanding is that LEJOG are the furthest two points away from each other. The North/south extremes are slightly closer.

Ajax Bay

Guru
it depends how you define E2E. I don't necessarily define E2E as furthest point north/south.
my understanding is that LEJOG are the furthest two points away from each other. The North/south extremes are slightly closer.

Inspired by your quote and informed using Ride with GPS in its 'Draw Lines' mode, I offer the following detail for the furthest two points away from each other on mainland Britain.
NB Limited by roads (which may not be public) as the start and finish.

LEJOG at 970.2km (sign to sign) is a (tiny) bit shorter than the following:
Road leading to St Levan's Church (past the Minack Theatre, Porthcurno a few km SE of Land's End) to Duncansby Head = 972.9km
Lizard Point (Polpeor Cafe) to Duncansby Head = 977.1km
Lizard Point (Polpeor Cafe) to Dunnet Head = 977.1km (this is the south > north maximum)

So in the "furthest two points away from each other" competition it's a tie, but it's not LEJOG.

For the record, the NW-SE maximum is Cape Wrath to Beachy Head = 940.7km (a few (13)km further than CW to Dover).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Inspired by your quote and informed using Ride with GPS in its 'Draw Lines' mode, I offer the following detail for the furthest two points away from each other on mainland Britain.

LEJOG at 970.2km (sign to sign) is a (tiny) bit shorter than the following:
Road leading to St Levan's Church (past the Minack Theatre, Porthcurno a few km SE of Land's End) to Duncansby Head = 972.9km
Lizard Point (Polpeor Cafe) to Duncansby Head = 977.1km
Lizard Point (Polpeor Cafe) to Dunnet Head = 977.1km (this is the south > north maximum)

So in the "furthest two points away from each other" competition it's a tie, but it's not LEJOG.

For the record, the NW-SE maximum is Cape Wrath to Beachy Head = 940.7km (a few (13)km further than CW to Dover).
I don't think that is right! I just measured LEJOG as the crow flies, not using roads, and crossing vast swathes of sea and that is 603 miles or 970 kms.

Ajax Bay

Guru
@ColinJ I think you're right (970km, per mare per terram) even if you don't reciprocate. Please re-read my caveat ('roads' refers to start and finish not to 'using').
I don't think that is right! I just measured LEJOG as the crow flies, not using roads, and crossing vast swathes of sea
LEJOG at 970.2km (sign to sign)

While on a roll and, having looked at your 'vast swathes of sea' condition (it's just over half over the sea), the point to point distance for LEJOG over land, using cyclist crossable bridges across estuaries, firths. sea lochs and substantial rivers is 1109km (http://ridewithgps.com/routes/11724790). These are:

Bridgwater (R Parrett)
Severn Bridge
Widnes-Runcorn bridge (across the Mersey)
Preston (R Ribble)
Levens Bridge (SE corner of Lake District, over R Kent)
Carlisle (R Eden)
Longtown bridge (over R Esk)
Forth road bridge (Edinburgh)
Kessock bridge (Inverness, across the Moray Firth)
Cromarty Bridge
Dornoch Firth bridge (A9)
A9 bridge across Loch Fleet

So what? Well, I think it points up the chokes/turning points for route planning (whatever other criteria one applies (eg minimise English A roads, east or west coast).

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I liked the attitude of two local female pensioners who did a more ambitious LEJOG of 1,200 miles and raised £5k for Cancer Research - LINK. (I mentioned it recently in the 'Pedal power' thread.)

I worked out a rough and very extended LEJOGLE route which came to about 8,000 miles. I will probably never be able to afford the time and money to do it, nor find a 4-6 month spell of warmish, dryish weather without strong winds. Still, it is good to dream!

Maybe I will split my LEJOGLE into 5 or 6 more manageable chunks. The only real reason for doing the whole thing in one go is to be able to say that you had!

I've done all the Cardinal points on the way between LE and JOG before now.
So yes ..... ^_^
I cannot do all the Ordinal points. I cannot get my recumbent trike-trailer on/off the Cape Wraith ferry.

Top Bottom