Who's the numpty chasing the E Bike :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
I've never bothered asking, but I assume the electric MTBs and fat bikes you see on the market are not restricted in the first place if they're for off-road use? It's not much of a suprise they're starting to appear on the road.

They are restricted, the Law doesn't differentiate between on-road and off-road use, it simply says that pedal assist cycles must be limited to 15mph. My Dad has one, strangely enough our rides average 15mph.

On this score I'd be quite happy for people with de-restricted bikes to have them confiscated, if it was regularly in the News people might think twice.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They are restricted, the Law doesn't differentiate between on-road and off-road use, it simply says that pedal assist cycles must be limited to 15mph. My Dad has one, strangely enough our rides average 15mph.

On this score I'd be quite happy for people with de-restricted bikes to have them confiscated, if it was regularly in the News people might think twice.
I think the law is a bit silly. 20 or 25mph would be more reaistic, we can all blat along at those speeds anyway even if it is just for a short distance.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think the law is a bit silly. 20 or 25mph would be more reaistic, we can all blat along at those speeds anyway even if it is just for a short distance.
How then would the ebike different from a low powered scooter which requires a licence, a helmet and to be ridden on the road ?

Reactions: C R

Smudge

Veteran
I've always felt i could use a bit more speed before the motor cuts out, specially on the road. But 15.5 max motor speed is the law. If it were higher then some would be wanting a bit more, you have to draw the line somewhere.
I now accept the 15.5mph, because i enjoy the freedoms of Ebikes in as much they are free of restrictions just like unassisted bikes, and can use cycle paths/tracks and canal paths. 15.5 mph max motor speed is more than enough for these places.
I also like the longer range with this lower motor speed.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
How then would the ebike different from a low powered scooter which requires a licence, a helmet and to be ridden on the road ?
And whats the speed on these low powered scooters, my guess its 30mph plus........so quite a difference really

vickster

Legendary Member
And whats the speed on these low powered scooters, my guess its 30mph plus........so quite a difference really
Vs 25mph? Not really especially around pedestrians on a share path

davidphilips

Veteran
Winner of the tour of britain and kom holder on the tumble climb in the welsh mountains

@Drago - now tell me if you can ride that climb at 15.5mph on a standard road bike

View attachment 428571

Just as a matter of interest would an ebike go up that climb at 15.5mph?

Reason i ask is i know a member of my club that goes out on an ebike and yes hes ok up hills but not any faster than i am, dont know what size of battery or motor he has or what power setting its on but apart from out accelerating me i can stay with him on hills and go faster on the level (and going fast on the level is not my strong point)

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just as a matter of interest would an ebike go up that climb at 15.5mph?

Reason i ask is i know a member of my club that goes out on an ebike and yes hes ok up hills but not any faster than i am, dont know what size of battery or motor he has or what power setting its on but apart from out accelerating me i can stay with him on hills and go faster on the level (and going fast on the level is not my strong point)
Yes an ebike with a strong rider would be able to get close to 15mph up that climb......going fast on level roads is not an ebikes strong point, especially with motor drag. I can get my ebike to 22/23 mph on the flat for short periods

Top Bottom