Who's the numpty chasing the E Bike :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Ah, you are making the classic mistake of judging another rider against your own standards. Lol indeed. 250W is a third of a horsepower, which ain't a lot, it doesn't have riders whizzing up hills like in the G Tech ads, and the assistance ceases at 15.5 MPH.

And how remiss of me - Happy Birthday Johnny. Enjoy the last year before the big one ;)
Nope im.judging you against my fellow club mates who are very decent climbers, but cannot climb the welsh hills at 15.5mph......not even the professionals at the tour of britain did it and you are in no way on a par or better than them

jowwy

Winner of the tour of britain and kom holder on the tumble climb in the welsh mountains

@Drago - now tell me if you can ride that climb at 15.5mph on a standard road bike

Screenshot_20180904-222706.png

Lonestar

Veteran
Had this the other day on Southwark Bridge...Wondered how a fat bike could catch me so easy.He came from nowhere.As it turned out it looked like an expensive looking electric fat bike.

Yesterday I went for a Strava PB and was a bit miffed when a e-bike went past me at 30mph or so, later we ended up at a set of lights and the guy apologized to me as he expected it to have annoyed me, he was an ex roadie who had got peed off with e-bikes overtaking him so thought he would join them. He told me his was good for 40mph he offered me a draft and proceeded to give me a demo. He lost me before 26mph as it was a strong crosswind and he took off from the lights like a bat out of hell. People keep mentioning this 15mph cut off, I reckon 90% of the people on my commute with e-bikes have de-restricted them. I cant remember the last time I met a e-bike going under 15mph in appropriate circumstances.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
3 separate times now I've had that exact thing happen to me, twice I thought they were just going quite well and I really had to work to catch them, but on the third occasion he was totally riding an illegal machine - I had to absolutely empty myself on a 3 mile undulating road to catch him, he was on a MTB which looked like something from back to the future with big nobbly tyres barely turning the pedals as I ground past at 30mph+
Good training though! :laugh:

jowwy

Yesterday I went for a Strava PB and was a bit miffed when a e-bike went past me at 30mph or so, later we ended up at a set of lights and the guy apologized to me as he expected it to have annoyed me, he was an ex roadie who had got peed off with e-bikes overtaking him so thought he would join them. He told me his was good for 40mph he offered me a draft and proceeded to give me a demo. He lost me before 26mph as it was a strong crosswind and he took off from the lights like a bat out of hell. People keep mentioning this 15mph cut off, I reckon 90% of the people on my commute with e-bikes have de-restricted them. I cant remember the last time I met a e-bike going under 15mph in appropriate circumstances.
They dont stop working at 15mph, they just stop assisting............everytging after 15mph is your own work.

I can quite easily get mine to 30+mph on a flat road or descent under my own steam, but when it comes to a climb, then its golden.......and mine is NOT deristricted

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Nothing worse than being on a road bike, going as fast as you can, only to be scalped by a mountain bike, with a seemingly large bulge somewhere on the frame.

I am all in favour of ebikes for people who genuinely need some assistance while cycling but for healthy fit cyclists who go out and buy an ebike just because they don't like being overtaken is beyond me.
I am sixty five and i like to go out and test myself on the hills local to me and beyond(yes i know it's essex :whistle:).
The days i start getting off and having to walk up hills is when i might consider an ebike but i hope that will be a long time in the future.

Smudge

Veteran
When i was a fit healthy cyclist, i wouldn't have even wanted an Ebike, especially a legal one. They are slow at their legal cut off speed and most of them are really heavy and many are hard to pedal much above the cut off speed. My two are like trying to cycle through treacle above the motor cut off. Riding a light unassisted bike is a joy, if you're fit enough to use it. Plus none of the weight and technical aspects of an Ebike.
This is why many fit and healthy cyclists get an illegal Ebike...... and i'm seeing more and more of these illegal Ebikes lately.
They never used to bother me and i used to think why not have a bit more motor speed and power. But i've changed my mind on that and can see problems and more accidents involving them in the future.

They dont stop working at 15mph, they just stop assisting............everytging after 15mph is your own work.

I can quite easily get mine to 30+mph on a flat road or descent under my own steam, but when it comes to a climb, then its golden.......and mine is NOT deristricted

Nope they are defo de-ristricted, the bikes I see are mainly 22 inch-26 inch wheel hybrids doing around 30mph, not many, if any at all normal commuters can manage that kind of speed on that kind of bike. I have been around enough very decent cyclists long enough to know what people are usually capable off. Still restricted e-bikes are the oddity in these parts.

Bodhbh

Guru
Nope they are defo de-ristricted, the bikes I see are mainly 22 inch-26 inch wheel hybrids doing around 30mph, not many, if any at all normal commuters can manage that kind of speed on that kind of bike. I have been around enough very decent cyclists long enough to know what people are usually capable off. Still restricted e-bikes are the oddity in these parts.

I've never bothered asking, but I assume the electric MTBs and fat bikes you see on the market are not restricted in the first place if they're for off-road use? It's not much of a suprise they're starting to appear on the road.

Top Bottom