why allow your front wheel to do 90 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Hip Priest has a point, - but then whats worse to be somersaulted over the handle bars or thrown sideways ?
maybe a stop would be to final. maybe a damper that could be engaged and released.
something that when going over rough rutted rocky ground would prevent the front wheel being diverted.
as shown downhill racers have obviously thought about this.
of course those that limit themselves to nice smooth tarmac won't need it, were I go even the tarmac bits are full of potholes big enough to unseat you. - often its which is the friendliest looking pothole because I'm going hit one of them.

Makes it easier to maneuver my bike into my cluttered shed. Also some people may make use of the ability for stunts.

sheffgirl

bikes do seam to have a mind of there own, front wheel just wips round 90 degrees and it and sometimes you all roll into a heap together. thats happened on meany occasion especially when im standing looking at a map and the bike sinks to my angles.

Mine seems to do this a lot when I take my weight off the saddle when standing. I did it recently and broke my front light and ended up with some very interesting bruises.
But if it didn't have the ability to turn as much, I would struggle to get it out of my flat door in a morning, because there is a fence about a foot in front of it.

ayceejay

Guru
Once you are rolling on an open road you hardly need to turn your front wheel at all and it is only when off the bike you actually need to turn it anything like 90 degrees. I suggest a longer bolt than the one holding your brakes to the forks, have this extend through a hole drilled in the down tube and keep it in place until such times as you need the extra movement. If you consider that you do in fact need some sideways movement make this hole into a slot and custom it to suit. I am sure Campagnola can whip up a quick release version in titanium if you are worried about weight.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Can someone please post a facepalm meme image for me, I am so facepalmed out I can't do it myself right now!
Sure: -

bunny_facepalm_by_shlj23-d4s3yaj.jpg

Top Bottom