why allow your front wheel to do 90 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
if there was a mechanical stop, the wheel instead of turning would be forced to go forward and may well ride over the obstruction.

shall have to put a limiter on the front wheel movement and see.

good luck with that

I think that will just give a lever for the forks to bend against and destroy the whole front end

I may be missing something here , but what possible advantage can there be in allowing your front wheel to turn 90 degrees from straight ahead. ......
I'm sure there must be a reason , anyone?
Means I can get
- my bike into the lift; fits perfectly;
- my tandem into the lift; but I have to lift the front end and "park" it in the upper left hand corner of the lift.

Neither would be possible without the 90 degree turn. (Hmm - tandemming around the hallway on the seventh floor has limited interest. I want my 90 degrees!)

Hip Priest

Veteran
This sounds like a solution in search of a problem. If you hit an obstacle which forces the wheel to turn 90 degrees then you'll crash. If you hit the same obstacle with a 40 degree limit, you're still going to crash.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
ah - a sensible answer - that is true, I have had to some pritty tight turns through fence gaps/entrances for bikes. turning beyond normal. - it would need a release mechanism.(easily done)
A limiter would actually help slow starts as it would prevent he front wheel jack-knifing which is what causes the spills.

obviously I must cycle some fairly extreme terrain without realising it, if no one ever lost control, hit unexpected obsticles at speed why would we need seat belts, airbags, motorcycle leathers, helmets - as how can they possibly come off or crash unless they are totally incompetant.

Either that or you have inner ear problems and haven't realised!

Can't do tail whips without 360 degree rotation at the headset.

And for downhilling and moto steering damping already exists...

011208hopey.jpg

simon.r

Person
I can think of one reason to have lock stops - to avoid the handlebar / brake levers hitting the top tube. I've seen more than one MTB with dints in the top tube caused by brake levers hitting it in a crash.

Don't most motorbikes have lock stops to stop the levers hitting the tank?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've seen a kids bike where the "suspension" forks limited the the wheel turning more than about 70 degrees from straight on. Never ridden one but any time I had to move it (when parked behind the house), it always caught me out the hitting the stop (as well as quite how heavy it was).

However I agree with those saying that I occasionally need the flexibility to turn the wheel through greater angles to get through obstacles and to put it in the back of the car.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
downhill bikes with dual crown forks? don't they have stops to prevent the upper part of the fork leg smashing through the top and down tubes. Or is the view that pro-riders just get handed a new bike when that happens?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
As far as I know, there is no limitation as to how far you can rotate the bars. 90 degrees might be all you can do with the cables attached but remove them from the equation and you can spin the bars for as long as you want.

Top Bottom