why allow your front wheel to do 90 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Its not about voluntarily turning the front wheel 90 degrees, but if the wheel hits something (say a log, or a ridge or pot hole) that turns the front wheel your going to turn with it, we are dealing with forces greater than the best rider -
if there was a mechanical stop, the wheel instead of turning would be forced to go forward and may well ride over the obstruction.

we all ride what is called a safety bike (designed about 100 years ago) I dare say 100years ago people would have said - you have to be totally incompetent to fall off a penny farthing.

as far as I can see the front wheel steering design hasn't changed in 100years - of course we all drive around in cars that haven't changed in mechanical design for a 100years don't we. - so why do we ride bikes that haven't.

I was looking for a reason why you would want this inherently dangerous feature on the bike.
storage seams the only one. that could be got round.

shall have to put a limiter on the front wheel movement and see.

(If anyone followed my super bike design I now have an estimate quote for a prototype - £4000 approx.
design is not cheep.
I'm still looking to build a mock up, given up on a toothed main drive wheel , a) I can't get one, b) it would be heavy. - looking at using a bicycle wheel and belt drive.)
Have you tried holding onto the handlebars?

Seriously, no such thing is needed if you actually hold onto your bars and look at where you are going ahead and plan to move around obstacles you can't go over.

Funnily enough this weekend I rode through some of my local woodland and rode over plenty of rocks, logs and roots without falling off.

400bhp

Guru
storage

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have you tried holding onto the handlebars?

Seriously, no such thing is needed if you actually hold onto your bars and look at where you are going ahead and plan to move around obstacles you can't go over.

Funnily enough this weekend I rode through some of my local woodland and rode over plenty of rocks, logs and roots without falling off.

You arent trying hard enough if you don't fall off your MTB :biggrin:

VamP

Banned
[QUOTE 2475341, member: 30090"]Appears to be next to none? What qualifies you to have such an opinion of another cyclist?[/quote]

We're probably basing our opinions on his inability to express himself coherently. What qualifies you to question us? ;)

Bicycles can be manoeuvred at low speed with very tight turning circles. Gaz mentioned track stands, but any low speed turn is going to involve larger steering inputs, possibly approaching 90 degrees, and these are more about maintaining balance than dictating direction. As soon as any mechanical stops are introduced the chances increase of at some point the rider not being able to turn the front wheel enough to stay upright. Put hard limits on the steering of bikes and you would find far more people having embarrassing low speed falls as they set off and stop and also as they negotiate obstacles such as those found at the start of many cycle paths.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
Bicycles can be manoeuvred at low speed with very tight turning circles. Gaz mentioned track stands, but any low speed turn is going to involve larger steering inputs, possibly approaching 90 degrees, and these are more about maintaining balance than dictating direction. As soon as any mechanical stops are introduced the chances increase of at some point the rider not being able to turn the front wheel enough to stay upright. Put hard limits on the steering of bikes and you would find far more people having embarrassing low speed falls as they set off and stop and also as they negotiate obstacles such as those found at the start of many cycle paths.

ah - a sensible answer - that is true, I have had to some pritty tight turns through fence gaps/entrances for bikes. turning beyond normal. - it would need a release mechanism.(easily done)
A limiter would actually help slow starts as it would prevent he front wheel jack-knifing which is what causes the spills.

obviously I must cycle some fairly extreme terrain without realising it, if no one ever lost control, hit unexpected obsticles at speed why would we need seat belts, airbags, motorcycle leathers, helmets - as how can they possibly come off or crash unless they are totally incompetant.

OP
OP
Licramite

Licramite

Über Member
I'm sure at least one american bijou framemaker puts 'stops' on their frames to limit the angle of handlebar deflection. On a loaded touring bike it can be a godsend as the bars can whip round sharpish especially when the rider is off the bike and it it leaning against something.

My solution to that specific circumstance, which has nowt to do with the OP, is dual parking brakes, a doubled up scrunchie on each drop, looped over the brake lever when I'm off the bike. If the wheels can't roll the bike is much less likely to shift and fall.

bikes do seam to have a mind of there own, front wheel just wips round 90 degrees and it and sometimes you all roll into a heap together. thats happened on meany occasion especially when im standing looking at a map and the bike sinks to my angles.

Ningishzidda

I would like to share the wine with anyone who has done a 360 handlebar spin while the front wheel is out of the half-pipe.
BMX riders rejoice.

Top Bottom