why am I in work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Kirstie said:
My in laws live in the Derwent Valley and had two passes for the flypast last Friday. They offered me of of them but I couldn't go - I was particularly disappointed because I think they had an old Vulcan bomber flying too. It was restored at Bruntingthorpe proving ground which is not far from where I live. Earlier this year (I think) they test flew it, which was an amazing sight.

The Vulcan is due to fly at Waddington Air Show (5th and 6th June) this year. Last I saw in the Lincolnshire Echo (about two weeks ago) was that further tests were required before a certificate to fly would be granted ... not heard anything else since, but it's listed as one of the star attractions at this years show. I only live a couple of miles from Waddo, so get all the free practice shows beforehand, and we can see most of the airborne performances on the actual show days.

Mr Pig

Yorkshireman said:
The Vulcan is due to fly at Waddington Air Show

Some size of plane! They have one at East Fortune, near North Berwick. They've got a Concord there too.

thats the vulcan "501" isnt it.. i used to go watch them taxi that- glad they finally got it airborne!

-theres no sound nicer than a merlin engine, and no plane looks so at home in the sky as a spitfire- beautiful!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mr Pig said:
The Spitfire is in my opinion the most beautiful aeroplane ever built, I always have a little model one in the house. I was blessed enough to see the Battle Of Britain air show at Duxford years ago and it was fantastic. What a wonderful sound those Merlins make.

I have great admiration for the men who flew these machines and gave their lives for us. We must never forget them.

I too had the priveledge of seeing the Battle Of Britain show at Duxford then, awesome, 22 Spits and Hurricanes in the air at the same time. Brought a tear to the eye.
Certainly one of man's greatest machines, no doubt.

Mortiroloboy

I saw a Vulcan fly at one of the last RAF Greenham Common International Air shows, before the event moved to RAF Fairford, and the Vulcan went out of service, fantastic sight. Interestingly, although everyone goes on about the Spitfire, there were actually more Hurricanes in service with the RAF, so although the Spit is without doubt the Allies Iconic Aircraft of WW2 it was actually the Hurricane which won the battle of Britain.

I still at work getting the bikes ready for the show. Ill be looking at getting out of work all week at 10pm min.

Top Bottom