why are gear levers so expensive???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
I have several bikes and all are fitted with Shimano gears and levers and they are all very good, but I must say riding and changing with the one bike that has Dura Ace is at a different level. Whether it is worth the difference in cost is another matter but it's definitely quicker and smoother!!!!!!

skwerl

alecstilleyedye said:
just as an aside i borrowed a ultegra (9sp) equipped bike last week and was the shifting any better than my usual tiagra (9sp)? was it buggery.
i think the main difference is down to weight. so when the main weight on the bike is the rider (who could always lose a few kilos), imho buying a more expensive groupset to save weight is a waste of money. unless, of course, you're a whippet on a full carbon bike for racing or hillclimbing.

oh, and if shimano could do a non-flightdeck compatible version for less money, that would be good.

there may be something to be said for longevity and performance in nasty conditions. cheaper components may rust/seize/whatever quicker than more expensive ones. The high end stuff is usually made up of stainless steel, alloy and titanium (plus carbon) compared to mild steel for the cheaper stuff so it's probable that Dura-Ace will last longer and work well longer than Tiagra.
If I compare my friends Tiagra-equipped Allez to my bike I see a lot of rusting components on his.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
skwerl said:
there may be something to be said for longevity and performance in nasty conditions. cheaper components may rust/seize/whatever quicker than more expensive ones. The high end stuff is usually made up of stainless steel, alloy and titanium (plus carbon) compared to mild steel for the cheaper stuff so it's probable that Dura-Ace will last longer and work well longer than Tiagra.
If I compare my friends Tiagra-equipped Allez to my bike I see a lot of rusting components on his.

but then that can be down to how well the bike is maintained and where it is kept.

asterix

Comrade Member
It seems very likely that bikes with high-end compokents are likely to have a well maintained life compared with those with budget products.

skwerl

alecstilleyedye said:
but then that can be down to how well the bike is maintained and where it is kept.

true but it's more likely to be a combination of both. Cheap components will wear quicker, no matter how well looked after they are

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
DLB said:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...Ultegra 6600 OE STI Double 10 Speed Lever Set

why are these types of levers so expensive? The reason i rarely ride on the drops is because every time i want to change gear i have to come back to the hoods. The levers above would be so much better but they're all more than 100 notes. Is there a reason?

tell me about it :biggrin: mine are goosed and I reckon it would be best upgrading to 9spd. Think I might go the campag route this time though as they are a bit cheaper.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Campag 10 speed ergos will shift 8 speed Shimano perfectly. Not just 'near enough' but bang on. Google 'Shimergo' and you'll find a page on the CTC site that explains all...

Membrane

skwerl said:

Not based on any evidence, but I've always suspected that pro level components like DA are primarily designed for low weight with little regard for durability. The pros aren't likely to care about having to change components regularly. For example, compared to stainless steel, afaik titanium is a brittle and soft material.

Keith Oates

Janner
I'm no expert on metals but I think that there are different types of Titanium so your statement may not be correct!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
there's a gent in the club i belong to who was a mechanic for team gb. his opinion is that the top spec stuff is designed for the pros, who get it for free and change it regularly. it does not last long because of the compromises made to reduce weight. i'm no expert, but he is so i'll take his word for it.

a friend of mine's campag record chain snapped, breaking the rear mech, spokes etc. he was off the road for months because, rather than get a cheaper campag replacement rear mech, he had to wait for a record one to come up at the right price. the word "bling" springs to mind…

Yeah.
My TT bike is currently running a long cage Tiagra rear mech, because that's what I had in the spares box when I built it up.
I'm waiting for a 105 or Ultegra short cage one to come up on eBay, cheap, new not scratched/bent/knackered, but until it does I'll cope with the one it's got.
I know that in all probability it'll make not-a-lot of difference, if any at all, especially on a bike with bar-end shifters.

Membrane

Keith Oates said:
I'm no expert on metals but I think that there are different types of Titanium so your statement may not be correct!!

On reflection I probably confused titanium with magnesium.

Top Bottom