Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
While these days I see the older bikes as being more beautiful to look at, when I was younger I preferred the looks of the more modern bikes with their chunkier tubes that could have more paint applied them with larger logos and graphics etc.

Nowadays I like both the older and newer style bikes. The older steel bikes almost timeless but I did not know that when I was younger. Now I'm older, I wonder if the next generation of kids will grow up thinking the bikes of today will be timeless in future. But what made the old bikes times, was it their design, was it the slim tubes, the kind of paint and colours they used? Are steel bikes of today also timeless?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
their chunkier tubes that could have more paint applied them with larger logos and graphics etc.
I think you've hit the nal on the head there, bike manufacturers get more space for advertising on their products, no more "oh that's a nice bike, wonder what it is" when you can splash your brand in letters 3 foot high8 on the side

* OK slight exaggeration there but you know hat I mean.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
raleighnut said:
I think you've hit the nal on the head there, bike manufacturers get more space for advertising on their products, no more "oh that's a nice bike, wonder what it is" when you can splash your brand in letters 3 foot high8 on the side

I agree, the bigger the better as far as the marketeeers are concerned. Big logos are easier to recognise from a distance when viewing an event either live or on TV. You aren't going to get them to admit that though, they will come out with every bit of pseudo-scientific BS under the sun to try and justify why the frames look the way they do.

When I'm out on my old steel framed bikes from the 60's or 70's I sometimes get passed by riders who will be on a carbon or aluminium lightweight aerodynamic bikes dressed in lycra . Sometimes the difference in speed might not be that great as I sometimes manage to peg their rate of travel .
I think to myself. Well! This bike is old , it's seen many years of service , the tyres are old and not razor blades. The rider is old ! He's wearing jeans and has put on a bit of weight ,yet I'm not much slower. I also wonder about how much exercise each of us is getting ? I might only do 8 to 12 miles but I don't have the weight or drag advantage that the other riders have so I may use just as much energy as those doing greater distances . Well it certainly feels like it !
I get pleasure from riding a bike with nice shiny chrome or polished ally bits, it's the way in which the blue sky and clouds are reflected in them .
A lot of the modern bikes look like they were made for teenagers and have bought a new longer stem and seat post to fit them as they've grown up .
Each to their own I suppose but I prefer the fact that most of the components of my bikes are interchangeable and easily sourced and easy to fix .

* OK slight exaggeration there but you know hat I mean.

Funny you should say that... After I stripped all the godawful graphics off my '98 Raleigh Max (navy, orange and lime green - on a light cadmium red frame, really!) I do get exactly that reaction. ^_^

The frame looks so much nicer for just being plain red.

NR1F7043_small.jpg

P.S. I adore the blue and gold paint job on that carbon Cinelli at the beginning of the thread, but not the bike itself...

Top Bottom