Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
It's like they've taken a simple cup of coffee and americano-muchato-latte-mogrelified it. Ps: I recently learned that a normal coffee is just called a Flat White and even then it tasted weird.

And blasphemy of all blasphemices, a slanting top tube AND dropped seat stays. I thought it's finally time to get an Italian bike, at least those guys will build a pretty bike. Alas they too have weird tubes. BUt I like Bianchi Oltre though I guess that's too pricey.

goldcoastjon

I like the look, the feel, and the SOUND of classic steel. (I cannot STAND the "clunk" sounds made when shifting on a plastic frame. I could not abide riding one and hearing such un-musical sounds all day.)

I am not now -- and never was -- competitive racer. My steel bikes do very well by me and handle as well as I need them to --up to 45 MPH on downhills, too. And they SOUND right as well as LOOK right to my eye.

Life tis too short to ride plastic... If *you* want to, fine. Just don't ride near me so I have to listen to your bikes "clunk" by instead of making proper bike music...

goldcoastjon

Having become more interested in bikes again after years away from cycling, one of the things I noticed was how radically different the majority of new bikes look compared to what everybody was riding back in the 1980's and even 1990's. Even a relatively cheap bike from the 80's will at least have a presentable looking lugged frame with pleasingly slim tube dimensions, and simple geometric shapes. The intricate high quality stuff from respected makers was almost a work of art in its own right.
Fast forward to the present day and what we get now is oversized tubes squashed at each end so they spread out and very un-pretty welds. On a small-sized triangle frame there can be more frame than daylight between the tubes these days - they look really crudely built.
Then if you start talking about CF bikes, the frame ugliness is taken a stage further, with things like rear wheel clearance cut out of the thickness of the seat tube, weird looking seat posts, straight forks that look like a couple of kitchen table legs, and having them sticking out from the bottom of the headset at a funny angle like the bike has been involved in an accident and the forks have been damaged!
The vast majority of what is on sale now, regardless of price level, I would not have in the house on the grounds they are mingingly ugly. Am I just a dinosaur with my dislike for current bike design or are there others who also much prefer the clean lines and slim tubing dimensions of old steel machines?. And before anyone blames the MTB craze for this, remember most MTB's from the 80's and early 90's had frames very similar in terms of appearance and geometry to old-school 3-speeds!

So buy a classic steel bike that *looks" and *rides* the way you want it to... Simple, easy -- and less expensive than the plastic bikes, too!

mustang1

Guru
I like the look, the feel, and the SOUND of classic steel. (I cannot STAND the "clunk" sounds made when shifting on a plastic frame. I could not abide riding one and hearing such un-musical sounds all day.)

I am not now -- and never was -- competitive racer. My steel bikes do very well by me and handle as well as I need them to --up to 45 MPH on downhills, too. And they SOUND right as well as LOOK right to my eye.

Life tis too short to ride plastic... If *you* want to, fine. Just don't ride near me so I have to listen to your bikes "clunk" by instead of making proper bike music...

What clunky sounds? It's all zeet zeet these days followed by beeps that the battery is low.

EDIT: zeet zeet sound from the Di2, e-tap, e-campagnolo etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What clunky sounds? It's all zeet zeet these days followed by beeps that the battery is low.

I don't like the rattling and booming you seem to get with plastic bikes. Not that long ago, I was stopped having a drink at the side of the road. Half a dozen roadies on carbons approached. The surface had some badly repaired roadworks trenches in it and was far from smooth. As each bike passed over the rough bit, I could clearly hear internal cables rattling against the inside of the frame tubes and the sort of acoustic boom you get if you rap the body of a guitar with something hard. Almost all the bikes made a noticeable noise as the rough surface shook them with their internal cables and big volume tubes. It would have driven me bonkers to be riding one of those and having to put up with that every time I went over a corrugated section of tarmac! :stop:

The ride from a carbon bike can be so much better than say a steel frame.

I bought a CF frame and swapped over my kit from my custom 653 frame. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I could ride over grids and the cf soaked up the bumps much better than steel.

Can't say I've noticed any extra noise from my CF bikes.

mustang1

Guru
I don't like the rattling and booming you seem to get with plastic bikes. Not that long ago, I was stopped having a drink at the side of the road. Half a dozen roadies on carbons approached. The surface had some badly repaired roadworks trenches in it and was far from smooth. As each bike passed over the rough bit, I could clearly hear internal cables rattling against the inside of the frame tubes and the sort of acoustic boom you get if you rap the body of a guitar with something hard. Almost all the bikes made a noticeable noise as the rough surface shook them with their internal cables and big volume tubes. It would have driven me bonkers to be riding one of those and having to put up with that every time I went over a corrugated section of tarmac! :stop:

Yeah I know what you mean. I also have a steel bike and it feels/seems/sounds nicer to ride. But carbon bike doesn't have internal cable routing but there's definitely a different sound emanating from the frame.

I also think the paint finish on steel and Ti bikes looks nicer than carbon.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
One thing with modern CF bike design that I find unattractive is the lower seat stays
I'm sure there is a reason why they join the seat post half way down, but for me it just doesn't look right.
I'm in the steel camp for bikes, probably because of the traditional look of a horizontal crossbar.:bicycle:

One thing with modern CF bike design that I find unattractive is the lower seat stays
I'm sure there is a reason why they join the seat post half way down, but for me it just doesn't look right.
Can someone explain if there's a logical engineering reason for this?

Until then I will live in ignorance with the vague idea that it's just for the sake of novelty.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Can someone explain if there's a logical engineering reason for this?

Until then I will live in ignorance with the vague idea that it's just for the sake of novelty.
allegedly, it keeps the back end stiff enough for efficient power transfer, but allows for a tad more compliance for the seat post thus giving a comfier ride. complimented by beefing up the rears stays and making the seat staying thinner an or slightly curved on some models.

That's the "official" explanation, it may be all bollox, but I guess you can do such things with CF, that you can't do with steel (* see hetching's curly frames for an exception) so because you can you do.

allegedly, it keeps the back end stiff enough for efficient power transfer, but allows for a tad more compliance for the seat post thus giving a comfier ride. complimented by beefing up the rears stays and making the seat staying thinner an or slightly curved on some models.

That's the "official" explanation, it may be all bollox, but I guess you can do such things with CF, that you can't do with steel (* see hetching's curly frames for an exception) so because you can you do.
Dropped seat stays are commonplace on Alloy framed bikes as well as Carbon, there are steel framed bikes out there with them as well.

thanks for the reply.
must admit (not criticising you) that any use of the word "compliance" in connection with bikes does tend to set my bullshit alarm off.
As a non engineer, I also muse aloud:
Since your bum is sat on top of this compliance and your legs are kind of attached to your bum, won't this "compliance" reduce the stiffness/power transfer between you and the back wheel?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I also quite sceptical of such things, although i did, a few years back, succumb to what maybe marketing hype or proven science and buy a Bianchi equipped with "Countervail technology which dampens up to 80% of road vibration". Its apparently some sort of material intergrated/interwoven(?) into the CF. The US military have also used this technology - for ships I believe, rather than for bikes to get around naval bases....

That said the bike is very comfy and it looks beautiful.

I also have a 531 steel tourer that is very comfortable and looks beautiful :laugh:

Top Bottom