Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by SkipdiverJohn, 22 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

Nice looking bike. I like that, which is not something I say very often in relation to new machines! Lugged cro-moly frame with sensible 71/73 degree geometry, long chainstays and a long wheelbase. Should feel nice and stable and give a comfortable ride. . If I was in the market for a new drop-bar bike I'd be seriously considering one of those. Looks excellent value and definitely not one of the ugly mingers club.

2. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

I think it's the never ending search for the latest gizmo to establish that point of difference over one's competitors. I don't know that I'll ever ride fast enuff to warrant electronic gear changes ... maybe a saddle warmer for a cold day??
    Nissan ran a television commercial some years ago where a herd of young Japanese were oohing and aahing as one of the company's trendy young designers passed them by, enthusing that he had incorporated CUP HOLDERS into the cockpit design of the latest Pulsar. I've always liked the adage "less is more".

woodbutcher and biggs682 like this.
  3. Dan B

Dan B Señor Member

Modern headsets creak less, modern brakes stop better, modern lights shine brighter and run longer. I make no apology for fitting any or all of those things to a retro frame. Oh, ditto alloy wheels to anything that "authentically" should have had steel rims

theclaud, mcshroom, dave r and 4 others like this.
  4. Pah. You can't beat the "Am I going to die?" adrenaline rush that steel rims provide. And anyone who prefers the harsh white of an LED over the subtle straw tones of an Ever Ready has no sense of aesthetics.

Soltydog, Alan O, Dan B and 2 others like this.
  5. That's something I've not come across. I'd be interested to learn more.

6. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

thumbnail.jpg

th?id=OIP.nxxF4xtip7eAZdfoEmrFnQHaE8&pid=1.jpg

567336a4b177bb5e11119d61?width=1024&height=1024&nostretch=true.png

570d1785b3ae9a1604de78a4.jpg

th?id=OIP.VBh_U9QAyvQGM0l6iyZ9swHaHJ&pid=1.jpg

Dan B and screenman like this.
  7. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

If that's a case for the defence, the defence case just collapsed^_^.

Its undoubtedly fast, but come on, the bike even has a hunchback in the 3rd pic:eek: and ironically no bells in sight:whistle:. It must be some sort of plastic cover for gels by the look of it.....

raleighnut likes this.
  8. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

bmx+1980s+2.jpg

raleighnut and gilespargiter like this.
  9. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

#sickburn-ers^_^

10. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

xx(

11. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

I'd love to post the Raleigh advertisement poster I have but I'd get castigated by the 'PC' brigade,

It is a lovely steel bike though

753 and Campagnolo

EDIT BTW if this gets deleted I won't be surprised. :sad:

Attached Files:

dave r likes this.
  12. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

They were fun, but clearly look like shoot.

The problem lies with the beholder. Unable to see beauty in great design or simple smooth lines, they impose a model of the past - no matter how flawed - usually from their teens or twenties, as what was right and therefore beautiful.

I think it’s sad.

FishFright likes this.
  13. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Guru

If you took away the branding, it would be beautiful.

dave r likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Senior Member

Agree completely. It's a hideous looking bike. In fact I'd hesitate to even call it a bike at all. Up until now I have regarded the Giant Trinity as the Holy Grail of carbon fibre ugliness, now it has some serious competition. Maybe we need a Poll to decide the winner of the Pukeworthy Cup?

15. mikeymustard

mikeymustard Über Member

if you took away the branding the poor girl would freeze to death!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice