Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd love to post the Raleigh advertisement poster I have but I'd get castigated by the 'PC' brigade,

It is a lovely steel bike though

753 and Campagnolo

EDIT BTW if this gets deleted I won't be surprised. :sad:

Attachments

• raleigh poster.jpg
    raleigh poster.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 75

Tin Pot

Guru
#sickburn-ers^_^

They were fun, but clearly look like shoot.

The problem lies with the beholder. Unable to see beauty in great design or simple smooth lines, they impose a model of the past - no matter how flawed - usually from their teens or twenties, as what was right and therefore beautiful.

I think it’s sad.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

Agree completely. It's a hideous looking bike. In fact I'd hesitate to even call it a bike at all. Up until now I have regarded the Giant Trinity as the Holy Grail of carbon fibre ugliness, now it has some serious competition. Maybe we need a Poll to decide the winner of the Pukeworthy Cup?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There's differences but I think some new bikes look absolutely fine. I usually ride a 1986 Raleigh Criterium at this time of year: -
View attachment 397270

But I also have a Merida Scultura as a fun bike in better weather. Much stiffer when I want to put some power down but reasonably similar comfort wise. Oh, and about 3kg lighter. I think it looks pretty good myself: -
View attachment 397272

Last edited:

gilespargiter

Veteran
Extremely unlikely it is 3Kg's lighter mcshroom, in any case when that ugly plastic frame is twisting and writhing between your thighs on the downhill you will more than lose any marginal gains. Also "stiff" does not mean more power layed down :smile:. You get your power back in a nice gentle progressive fashion from a spring. . .

screenman

Legendary Member
Extremely unlikely it is 3Kg's lighter mcshroom, in any case when that ugly plastic frame is twisting and writhing between your thighs on the downhill you will more than lose any marginal gains. Also "stiff" does not mean more power layed down :smile:. You get your power back in a nice gentle progressive fashion from a spring. . .

Glad you put a smilie in there I thought you were being serious.

mikeymustard

Veteran
I think it probably is a good 3kg lighter - Criterium must be 11+kilos, especially with the guards. Scultura - 8kg?
Edit: in fact I just weighed my Pro Race [pretty much same frame as the Crit] and it's more like 12kg with its guards!

Glad you put a smilie in there I thought you were being serious.
There could be something in the spring effect though:

View: https://youtu.be/BH_AL4rxrp8

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I think it probably is a good 3kg lighter - Criterium must be 11+kilos, especially with the guards. Scultura - 8kg?
Edit: in fact I just weighed my Pro Race [pretty much same frame as the Crit] and it's more like 12kg with its guards!

The Crit's a 501 so a bit heavier than a true lightweight. With guards it comes to around 12kg all in. The Scultura comes in a little under 9kg. In fact I'm currently using a dynamo light and a Carradice Bagman on the Criterium. I can probably get the bike over 13kg with that set up.

Top Bottom