Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by SkipdiverJohn, 22 Jan 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ciar

Ciar Über Member

Give me a modern MTB over an old one any day of the week, so much nicer to ride compared to the old and i just prefer the look of them.

whereas i would happily take an old style BMX just the one below over any of the new ones :smile:

as for Road bikes pass, not my bag apart from the one i thrash to and from work.

Attached Files:

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Good post.

And I'll see your Sachs Huret and raise you Benelux xx(

3. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Or Simplex. :ohmy: :B) :cry: :cursing:

4. Now you come to mention it they weren't all Sachs Huret. I remember Simplex derailleurs. I had one on my bike - that was a real extravagance, I bought it from a shop rather than trading it with a mate.

5. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

The one I had would end up with the chain 'riding' with the sideplates on top of the next sprocket if you missed a shift, the 105 I replaced it with was 'index capable' which meant that the top jockey wheel had enough 'float' side to side to prevent this happening (even though I used friction levers)

6. fignon_hr-620x402.jpg
    http://www.velominati.com/2012/05/in-memoriam-the-funny-bike/

7. wonderdog

wonderdog Well-Known Member

Blue Hills and Dogtrousers like this.
  8. Took me a couple of minutes, too.

9. I've just worked it out. Now my back hurts.

10. Spokesmann

Spokesmann Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...

I still use a Cyclo Benelux from time to time...

P8271199_zpsmnfvxtgi.jpg

When bikes were bikes and beefcake gearing was the norm....

Bike looks nice too.

dave r, tyred, Leaway2 and 7 others like this.
  11. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

Not my style of riding, but more than nice, looks beautiful to me.
    Weep and melt carbon?
    Of course though its uber sleek lines are somewhat out of kilter with the its front and back lights. Clearly there is no god or s/he was asleep on the job - how could tubing construction and light and battery tech have been allowed to develop at such different rates?

Last edited: 7 Feb 2018
    woodbutcher likes this.
  12. gilespargiter

gilespargiter Senior Member

Well you could actually get some quite sleek looking dynamo lights at the time.

BTW I think you will find that so called "carbon" frames are in fact at least 80% plastic - so just a marketing ploy to support the oil industry. Yes you can use natural fibres with natural resins to the same effect instead.

Blue Hills likes this.
  13. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Guru

:smile: You spoilsport you. "Plastic" doesn't quite have the same ring to it though, does it? if any ring at all.

raleighnut likes this.
  14. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Not only are some modern bikes ugly and lacking in character etc etc , they also dont have the simplicity of a good old 5/6 speed racer

buzzy-beans likes this.
  15. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice