Why are most modern bikes ugly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Good post.

And I'll see your Sachs Huret and raise you Benelux xx(

I still use a Cyclo Benelux from time to time...

P8271199_zpsmnfvxtgi.jpg

When bikes were bikes and beefcake gearing was the norm....

Bike looks nice too.

I still use a Cyclo Benelux from time to time...

View attachment 394853

When bikes were bikes and beefcake gearing was the norm....

Bike looks nice too.
Not my style of riding, but more than nice, looks beautiful to me.
Weep and melt carbon?
Of course though its uber sleek lines are somewhat out of kilter with the its front and back lights. Clearly there is no god or s/he was asleep on the job - how could tubing construction and light and battery tech have been allowed to develop at such different rates?

Last edited:

gilespargiter

Veteran
Well you could actually get some quite sleek looking dynamo lights at the time.

BTW I think you will find that so called "carbon" frames are in fact at least 80% plastic - so just a marketing ploy to support the oil industry. Yes you can use natural fibres with natural resins to the same effect instead.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Distributed by Madison, very similar to the Ridgeback tourers too so it almost seems like they've set a spec and got someone to build it.
I had to look twice to check it wasn't a Genesis.

But IIRC they're owned by Madison too, so quelle surprise

(Not knocking it, I have a Croix de Fer in the same colour scheme and I like it a lot)

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Nice looking bike. I like that, which is not something I say very often in relation to new machines! Lugged cro-moly frame with sensible 71/73 degree geometry, long chainstays and a long wheelbase. Should feel nice and stable and give a comfortable ride. . If I was in the market for a new drop-bar bike I'd be seriously considering one of those. Looks excellent value and definitely not one of the ugly mingers club.

wonderdog

Not only are some modern bikes ugly and lacking in character etc etc , they also dont have the simplicity of a good old 5/6 speed racer
I think it's the never ending search for the latest gizmo to establish that point of difference over one's competitors. I don't know that I'll ever ride fast enuff to warrant electronic gear changes ... maybe a saddle warmer for a cold day??
Nissan ran a television commercial some years ago where a herd of young Japanese were oohing and aahing as one of the company's trendy young designers passed them by, enthusing that he had incorporated CUP HOLDERS into the cockpit design of the latest Pulsar. I've always liked the adage "less is more".

Dan B

Disengaged member
On top of that, from an engineering point of view ther are arguments to be had as to whether modern BBs, headsets, freehubs, dual pivot brakes, disc brakes, lights, gearing systems etc are engineering improvements on what came before.
Modern headsets creak less, modern brakes stop better, modern lights shine brighter and run longer. I make no apology for fitting any or all of those things to a retro frame. Oh, ditto alloy wheels to anything that "authentically" should have had steel rims

booze and cake

probably out cycling
If that's a case for the defence, the defence case just collapsed^_^.

Its undoubtedly fast, but come on, the bike even has a hunchback in the 3rd pic:eek: and ironically no bells in sight:whistle:. It must be some sort of plastic cover for gels by the look of it.....

Top Bottom