why are the local bike shops closing down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
this is why
i always try and support my local shops but this morning he wants 15 quid for a chain i can buy on the internet for a fiver

internet wins

One LBS i use, loaned me a wheel for a sportive when i broke a spoke the day before and coulf not get it in for repair.

Same one give mini bike fit on all bikes sold and will swap out components with no additional labour charge, they took the wheels from my Yukon into stock at retail price as i wanted to get some handbuilts.

Another from whom i bought my MTB has repaired several broken spokes (I'm a heavy rider!) at n o cost well outside warranty period

LBS wins

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I've had mixed experienced with my LBSs, but my local 'elf-employed bike mechanic is a bleedin' saint!

As an aside this was posted the window of a branch of Borders when it closed:

smallnobathroom.jpg

Reactions: Maz

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Difficult to make generalisations of LBS's or chains or interweb retailers.

Stuff my three LBS's say doesn't exist, which is LBS for "our distributor doesn't stock it" I get from a bloke in Taiwan with an eBay store.

Stuff my three LBS's say is useless, which is LBS for "we haven't got any of those in stock" I get from Wiggle/CRC/Evans/EBC (and I have the advantage of living a short but fairly unpleasant ride away from the Evans warehouse/HQ) and I've yet to see the uselessness manifest itself.

Stuff my three LBS's accept the existence of and think is worthwhile I'll buy if I'm pushed for time and/or the price is in the same ball park and/or I'm too knackered to ride to Crawley and/or it is important for me to touch and feel the item before I buy it.

For everything else there is Brixton Cycles.

U

User482

I find that most LBSs offer poor customer care, average workmanship and questionable advice. I now use a mobile mechanic for the few jobs I can't do myself, and order him the parts he needs off the web.

We should perhaps make a distinction between 'LBS' and 'IBS'.

Taking the market as a whole, the increase in commerce generated by the rise in cycling over recent years has been entirely absorbed by the rise of etailing.

US independents were up in arms last year (or was it the year before) when Chain Reaction moved in to the US market selling parts and accessories for less than they could buy it for wholesale.

To what extent we should spend extra on a thing to help secure the future of our high streets I do not know. But I do know that we'll lose our independent bike shops if we don't use them. I don't buy off of the interwebs and I don't haggle as a matter of principle. But I will return to the bike shop which offers me the best all round package of expertise, range, stock availability, and good manners.

I blame the demise of the LBS on everybody now 'mickling' their own chains :tongue:

Two of the LBS's round my way always have a sign in the window saying they are only taking in bikes they have sold for repair.

One of them is pretty flexible with it, but I think it helps that I've been going in there since my parents used to buy my bikes from them 30 years ago.

The other shop though is a different matter. The guy even said he wasn't bothered about building me a pair of wheels! He said he would do it but he wasn't bothered. So I thanked him for his time and I bought them elsewhere!

It must be nice, especially in this day and age to be able to pick and choose what jobs you do. I hope it stays fine for him.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Two of the LBS's round my way always have a sign in the window saying they are only taking in bikes they have sold for repair.

One of them is pretty flexible with it, but I think it helps that I've been going in there since my parents used to buy my bikes from them 30 years ago.

The other shop though is a different matter. The guy even said he wasn't bothered about building me a pair of wheels! He said he would do it but he wasn't bothered. So I thanked him for his time and I bought them elsewhere!

It must be nice, especially in this day and age to be able to pick and choose what jobs you do. I hope it stays fine for him.

Sometimes when I am talking to customers while I am doing jobs for them the subject of bikes comes up, as most of them know I like to cycle. The amount of them that have been to an LBS that takes one look at their aging MTB or Hybird and tells them they are not interested on servicing it but they can sell them a nice new shiney one for £1000. So I send them to the LBS run by a friend of mine and he services their bikes for a reasonable price and they go away happy as you say must be nice to pick and choose.

GrasB

Veteran
To what extent we should spend extra on a thing to help secure the future of our high streets I do not know. But I do know that we'll lose our independent bike shops if we don't use them. I don't buy off of the interwebs and I don't haggle as a matter of principle. But I will return to the bike shop which offers me the best all round package of expertise, range, stock availability, and good manners.
I wouldn't use my LBSs because basically they've all proven to be less that useful. I do however use independent on-line retailers an awful lot.

Judderz

Our friend Mr Smith?

He really musn't like you, he was more than happy to build my wheels, and said take them back after a long ride for a 'free' truing, which I have and all sorted.
I bought a Shimano BB a couple of weeks ago, was £1.00 dearer than CRC, and he gave advice on fitting it, also bought some Zero tablets, which were cheaper than CRC, so until he treats me like he treats you, he'll get my business :tongue:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
We should perhaps make a distinction between 'LBS' and 'IBS'.

Taking the market as a whole, the increase in commerce generated by the rise in cycling over recent years has been entirely absorbed by the rise of etailing.

US independents were up in arms last year (or was it the year before) when Chain Reaction moved in to the US market selling parts and accessories for less than they could buy it for wholesale.

I was kind of waiting for Mickle to enter this, because a) he understands the way the bike market works better than I do, and b) his take on it is steeped in a tradition of service, whereas I, sticking up for bike shops because I see the effort that my brother puts in to preparing bikes for sale at his shop, see bikes shops as a body of wisdom that cyclists discharge at their peril.

So here's the obvious
- you buy a bike off the internet and you get what you deserve. If the wheel isn't tuned, it's your fault, nobody else's. If you buy a bike without the promise of a free service then you're out of your tiny tree......
- you buy shoes off the internet and (well, you can work it out for yourself). Except, that is, if you go in to a shop, try them on and then buy them off the internet you are a person with no destination in life other than my ignore list
- some people have access to good bike shops and some people don't, but the effort involved in finding a good bike shop can be repaid many times over. Regular customers get the deals, regular customers go to the top of the queue when it comes to repairs, regular customers are offered unstinting and unbiased advice

Bike shops can come across as curmudgeonly, and sometimes that's because the people that run them lack social skills. At other times it's because the 'customer' doesn't think it through. You buy a bike on-line, or from Halfords, it goes floppy and you take it to the LBS. If the proprietor has any sense (and most don't) he or she will either tell you to sling your hook or get out the big meter and charge you a small fortune. Why would they take on the responsibility for something that wasn't up to scratch in the first place other than for big money? That many do take in 'foreign' bikes and do their best for a pittance is absolutely infuriating, and I'm willing to bet Mickle is just the same as my brother in this respect.

Top Bottom