1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are the streets full of grey cars ?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by sheddy, 9 Apr 2008.

1. sheddy

sheddy Veteran

Just wondered why grey is so popular ? Why would one look in a car brochure and pick grey ? Why do the ads show only grey cars ? Are they cheaper ? Do they go faster ?

You wouldn't decorate your walls in grey, have grey furniture, wear grey makeup, plant grey flowers, dye your hair grey etc etc. Is it a UK thing ?

2. I love grey.
    Once upon a time all cars were black because it was the cheapest paint colour.
    Not now...and I am typing this looking at grey walls in my kitchen :biggrin:

3. Monst

Monst New Member

They are not grey - they are silver.

Silver cars photograph better and as such people buy what they see. If they see silver cars on the telly adverts or in newspaper adverts they buy silver cars.

Its a bit like why people ask for and buy Magners 'Irish' cider - because they see it advertised on the telly despite the fact thats is crap and made in England.

4. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

You would in Denmark...Grey is quite a typical colour for them.
    Oh, and I currently have a dark grey car.
    Silver is most popular car colour right now.

5. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Silver is best to sell on. Metallics sell at a premium, and silver is the safest of the metallic colours.

You'll notice that a lot of police cars are silver now, for that reason.

6. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Silver also shows the road dirt less.

7. simonali

simonali Über Member

8. dangerousjules

dangerousjules New Member

silver cars have been proven to be a more visible colour therefore safer.

9. Plax

Plax Veteran

Silver is the new white. For cars that is.
    Silver is the new black. For electrical items. At one stage it was a right sod (and probably still is) trying to find a black telly or video recorder as they were all silver. Very annoying when your video player breaks and all your other gear is black. I now have a silver video player and a black TV & DVD (& PS2). Very annoying.

10. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

You can also get more when you sell your silver car if you scratch a hallmark on the rear bumper.

11. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

My Vectra is silver...i didnt realise it was a lovely 'milky' metallic silver until i looked at it against my sons Vectra. His is just ordinary silver :biggrin::thumbsup:

12. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

It's not just cars, it seems more and more bikes are silver these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Keith beat me too it - so many bloody bikes that are either silver or some sort of urban grey, or dull black (excluding carbon)..... what ever happened to a bit of colour.......

14. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

My bike is blue ,black and silver. I reckon Giant were hedging their bets :biggrin:

15. Mortiroloboy

Mortiroloboy New Member

My Spesh Allez was silver, and Mrs Mortiroloboy has a silver Ford KA, I've never owned, nor would wish to own a grey car. I have grey hair though :biggrin: I love you all :biggrin: