Why are UK cyclists fixated on helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
As well as using this forum, I also use cycling forums in Denmark, Germany, Holland, France and Spain.

I am not being flippant or funny, I am genuinely curious about this topic.

How did the UK cyclists become so obsessed with the subject of cycle helmets, when most of the commuting cyclists in the rest of Europe dont wear them and dont talk about them on their forums.

I accept that cyclists who race wear them all over Europe. But to see cycle commuters wearing helmets in the rest of Europe is rare. Look at any Youtube clip of cyclists in Holland or Denmark. To see what I mean.

On this forum the subject of cycle helmets is often raised, even if the original post has nothing to do with helmets. They are defended and derided vehmently, but they seem to sneak into every topic.

Personally, I think they are a personal choice and I have several. I sometimes wear them I sometimes dont, as is my choice.

So why is the UK the only country, probably in the World, that is so adamant about helmets. Is it media or advertising pressure? What is it?

Steve

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think helmets are a good way of avoiding the real topic of cycle safety, so that we focus on the fact a cyclist was or wasn't wearing one rather than looking at whether we give cyclists respect on the road and look out for them.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Clever marketing by the helmet companies? They have become a bit of a fashion statement IMO.. If you don't wear one, then you can't possibly be a PROPER cyclist (whatever that is). I very rarely wear one despite owning two of the dust collectors, yet somehow manage to cover about 3500 miles per year without sustaining a head injury. Knees, hands, legs, hips, elbows, - yes; but not head.

If "proper" cyclists want to look down their noses at me because I'm not wearing a helmet (and it does happen), then the problem is theirs. I don't like them and I won't be nagged into wearing one! Phew, glad I got that off my chest ^_^.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The whole helmet issue is becoming much less heated as the evidence fails to rack up for their effectiveness and as more and more people go without.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
All of the above and a fundamental belief amongst primarily non cyclists, but some cyclists too IMO, that they are an effective safety feature in some way comparable to the benefits offered by helmets for motorcycling or car racing. They have a place (mainly as a high level winter light mount or in the shed for me nowadays) and I wouldn't decry anyone for wearing one but they are the reddest of red herrings in countries that are unenlightened in cycling terms and have regressive or infantile views on what contributes to road safety and sensible & equitable infrastructure for more vulnerable road users.

MTBing may be different, I'm sticking to the road debate here.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Lots of events won't allow you to participate unless you wear a helmet. It should always remain a personal choice IMHO. My choice is to wear one most of the time I'm riding, but if others don't want to, it should be up to them.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Iv found it extremely hard to look away from this thread.......
Normally if I think someone is wrong about a certain topic then ill try and avoid rocking the boat and move on across the forum.
Helmets on a bicycle is a personal choice but I cannot see a reason NOT to wear one. Being knocked off your bike at 30mph without a lid will definitely cause severe damage to your head and although cycling helmets are very lightweight and some people say they're not protective enough, let's face it ......its going to protect you a lot more than if you wasn't wearing one.
Huge cycling community where I live and it's great to see the likes of 5 and 6 year old children out on their bikes wearing a helmet.
Helmets can be a fashion statement too, which is even better, as it make it cool to be safe !!!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I think I have stated this before but here goes...

If you wear one, what have you got to lose? Nothing. It doesn't matter. Might it just give you that protection if your head does come into contact with something.

With my kayaking helmet on (see what I did there?) I was paddling in Slovenia on the river Soca. The Abseil section is grade 4 white water at the bottom of a fairly inaccessible canyon. The second time I paddled it I capsized on a rapid early on, and to say I hit the back of my head would be a massive understatement. I managed to roll up and get into an eddy. We stayed in the eddy until I could see straight. To paddle out of this section took us another 3 hours due to sporting water levels. I felt like crap for a couple of weeks after.
It is a big no no to paddle ww without a helmet. That day it may just have saved my life, or a ride in a helicopter.

Helmets are necessary in that split second that you want it there. Other than that, they're not.

I'll restate the point that it isn't detrimental to ride with one.

At 30mph, I don't think the helmet will be much good anyway.
It is. Personal experience.
I tumbled over going down a hill at 30 miles an hour. I survived with minor bruises. Later discovered that my helmet is badly cracked. If I were not wearing a helmet, it is my head which would have cracked.
But I learned my lesson and does not depend on my helmet.

Top Bottom