Why are UK cyclists fixated on helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I saw a government infomercial (or whatever they're called) tonight telling drivers not to act like dicks around horses.
So things like this can still be made. We're just not important enough I suppose :headshake:

Nope - they get banned by the ASA because one the several cyclists is not wearing a helmet!

The ASA ruled that although there was no legal requirement to wear a helmet, they supported a complaint on the grounds that is was "socially irresponsible" to show a cyclist without one!

It is not the first time an advert has been banned on the grounds that a cyclist did not wear a helmet

(The ban was later withdrawn and is under review)

Supermarket car park........

Tesco, Asda, Lidl, Aldi, Waitrose, and all of their peers have safety assessments that state HiViz MUST be worn when working in the car park as there is a danger of not being seen.

Surely customers should be equally difficult to see and therefore need HiViz when crossing a parking area?

Colin B

Nope - they get banned by the ASA because one the several cyclists is not wearing a helmet!

The ASA ruled that although there was no legal requirement to wear a helmet, they supported a complaint on the grounds that is was "socially irresponsible" to show a cyclist without one!

It is not the first time an advert has been banned on the grounds that a cyclist did not wear a helmet

(The ban was later withdrawn and is under review)

This ad couldn't be used in France they'd shoot you and serve you with garlic potatoes

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The feeling of having one on! Obviously that wasn't clear sorry
If you find it weird, don't put one on.

Reactions: 4F

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had the pleasure of meeting both TMN and Pat "more than 5mph" and can safely say that they are both splendid people.

I can appreciate @Pat "5mph"'s point that there is a perception that cyclists who don't dress up in the helmeted radioactive lemon uniform are less cautious with their, and other's safety - and that this isn't her own opinion! But I also certainly understand @User13710's point that this is a deeply offensive attitude. Understand and agree with, because this assumption that those who don't wear the hi-vis are willfully negligent is insulting. In fact, it's worse than that: it's a particularly odious form of victim blaming. It is this sort of pernicious reasoning which all too often leads to the attitude: "it's only a cyclist, it got what it deserved" that not merely infests that cesspit which is the Daily Mail but all too often informs police indifference to bullying - or worse - by motorists. Sadly, you don't need to look far on this forum for examples of the latter.

This, I think, has been a side effect of helmet promotion. It is the inevitable consequence of shifting the duty of care from motorist to cyclist. Once you have accepted the idea that it is the cyclist who must bear the burden of risk mitigation it is a very small step to shifting the blame onto the weaker party. Put simply, promotion of hi-vis and helmet wearing is promotion of the concept of the car as king. Picture a fume-filled gridlocked road going nowhere- forever.
Thank you. Well put. But how about this......." I drive very carefully. I am never going to wear a seat belt because I don't need to. If I wear a seatbelt it sends off the message that I approve of other people driving recklessly"????

uclown2002

Guru
Thank you. Well put. But how about this......." I drive very carefully. I am never going to wear a seat belt because I don't need to. If I wear a seatbelt it sends off the message that I approve of other people driving recklessly"????
Not a good analogy given that there is a legal requirement to wear a seat belt!

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Front seat belt laws are largely paternalistic, but quite apart from uclown's point, there is no comparison to be drawn, because there is no right to drive a car on the public highway in the first place, so whatever reasonable restrictions we choose to place on it are fair enough, especially restrictions which can be demonstrated to reduce deaths and serious injuries.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Front seat belt laws are largely paternalistic, but quite apart from uclown's point, there is no comparison to be drawn, because there is no right to drive a car on the public highway in the first place, so whatever reasonable restrictions we choose to place on it are fair enough, especially restrictions which can be demonstrated to reduce deaths and serious injuries.

OK, try this! If I wear a suit of armour when walking to the shops because I value my toes, does it send out the message that all and sundry should stamp on my feet and those of more normal pedestrians?

Top Bottom