Why are UK cyclists fixated on helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Insurance is just a bet, isn't it?. The bookies are the usual ragged spivs really. What I never quite understood is why I can't place a number of bets for the same insurance risk. Does anyone know why?

Not to start anything racist....

I heard it used as a defence against driving without insurance, that under Sharia Law Insurance is "haram" or unlawful

Apparently the modern insurance policy is strictly seen as constituting payment for something that is not definite (gambling) and should you receive a payment then it is a profit from gambling and interest on the payment

It can be taken out in the UK as it is a legal requirement, and complying with local law is not seen as sinful........ however any claim should only be equal to the payments made into the company

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I wonder who in the Google company decided on today's daily theme picture?

I wonder how many miles they actually ride?

I wonder how many MILLION people in the UK alone see that web page and unconsciously accept the message without question?

upload_2014-3-30_8-44-23.png

The above is indicative of the lazy, ill-informed attitude around cycling. They wouldn't have put such a page on the NL Google site for NL Mother's day, because they would have (rightly) been laughed at. But here in the UK?

Yeah, we're idiots that won't question it.........

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHNyfG4Q5fDTjWxeEpUpSopQF4bTCg7FMHKYgtwK1hrAafVaGF.jpg

Going back to vehicle "safety"

One of the main industry 'Gurus' behind the SUV boom in the states was Clotaire Rapaille, and his whole concept was based on the fact that the people who bought SUVs were:

People who realised that they were poor drivers and highly likely to have an accident. The Idea of the SUV is that when you do have that accident the other guy will come off worst

I had my first fall off the bike this morning, i was on a quiet winding country road and I moved into the side to let a wide vehicle pass me, silly me went too close to the edge and skidded in the mud and promptly somehow landed head first onto the road, I was wearing a helmet and I am so glad I was as the thump of my head off the road was very bad. Its a personal choice, Im not obsessed by helmets but I am obsessed with living a longer life than my mid 30's. Thank god is all I can say otherwise I was a hospital case today. Some nice drivers stopped and made sure I was ok, offered assistance, thankfully only my pride was damaged!!!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
common sense innit... I stubbed my toe earlier today... Thank god i had my shoes on, otherwise I'd have broke my foot

Glad you are OK. Could you do us a favour? Could you post some photos of the damage to the helmet and then cut the helmet in half to show us a photo of the compressed foam?
Adrian I will post you a picture later, there is a crack on the helmet, I will go fish it out the bin and send you a pic.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Remember to keep this on topic, no personal claims of what a helmet can or can't do for you. This thread is too good to get thrown in with the other bickering.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
How do you know?
She didn't but I am sure she would not have liked to have found out the hard way , or perhaps you'd care to volunteer.
Remember to keep this on topic, no personal claims of what a helmet can or can't do for you.
IMO no debate on helmets cannot be complete without this aspect, real or perceived. It's all part and parcel of why are/are not fixated with helmet use.

Actually this anecdote is a useful adjunct to this thread as it shows another aspect of how helmets are ingrained

When someone comes off, it is immediately the helmet that is the focus of attention and not the other causes.

Over the years we have seen lots of "helmet saved my life" posts, but very few go further.... A few "poor maintenance almost killed me", or "inexperience compromised my life" would be refreshing

Too much emphasis is spent on the helmet preventing an injury when the accident occurs whereas the greater learning process would be how the accident could have been prevented.

This is reflected in training.

RoSPA did research that took two groups of children, and showed that the ones who had NOT had cycle training were twice as likely to experience an accident than the group that had been trained.

Yet children are repeatedly refused training unless they wear a helmet........ a policy that increases the child's likelihood of an accident with a measure to reduce injury when it happens

In what other aspect of life would you refuse to train people to operate safely on the grounds that PPE to reduce the effect of that fauilure?

Its a bit like refusing to train a chainsaw operator on the grounds that protective trousers and boots will reduce an injury resulting from improper use!

Top Bottom