Why are UK cyclists fixated on helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
And @deptfordmarmoset, a checked blind spot is not a blind spot... that why you're told to check your blind spots... all you have to do is move your skull a bit, and use the brain inside it :thumbsup:
It is interesting that since the introduction of this "safety feature" the driver is required to perform an additional operation, ie moving skull, in order to ensure the safety of road users outwith the vehicle.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
this is why i believe the gorilla video is a red herring... if the instruction was "watch this video and note what happens" then a lot more people would see a bunch of people passing a white ball around, a person in a gorilla suit, a person wonders off, a red curtain, a wooden floor, and so on. It says nothing about ones observational awareness.

And @deptfordmarmoset, a checked blind spot is not a blind spot... that why you're told to check your blind spots... all you have to do is move your skull a bit, and use the brain inside it :thumbsup:
Monty, I'm perfectly aware that I made an error, particularly galling for me having already written on this thread about the hierarchy of safety measures in vehicle design. And rest assured that I will make a redoubled effort to learn from my mistake; hitting anybody would destroy me and I'll do my best to prevent it happening.

Others though will not be as aware of cyclists and not necessarily as mindful of the consequences as I am. Indeed, if you look at the NCAP test results, it's not even on their safety map. Take a look at the Nissan Qashqai results, awarded 5 stars for safety at the top of their home page (http://www.euroncap.com/results/nissan/qashqai/544.aspx). NCAP don't look at dangers to cyclists, lumping them together with a list of vulnerable road users, ignoring them, and concentrating on pedestrians. Scroll down to their pedestrian results and look at the danger points for pedestrians. And then remember this car has a 5 point safety rating. All round visibility of the road does not get a mention.

@DavidD - the A-pillars are not particularly big - perhaps proportionately larger than they would be on a bigger car. This was a Honda Jazz.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It pains me to say it on here but I almost took out a cyclist while behind the wheel today. When you're cycling there's no frontal blind spot. When you're behind the wheel, there are several. I'm a competent driver and have never caused an accident or even got a single point on my licence. And I'm very aware of cyclists. But the pillar - is it called the A-pillar? - between windscreen and side windows is a genuine blind spot, and that's where the cyclist was. But considerations of driver and passenger security allow for frontal blind spots at the expense of other, more vulnerable road users. I did see him but I saw him late and braked in time. I simply couldn't see him early. In my view, that's driver safety elevated above others safety. And it frightens me.

I made the exact same mistake a while back, emerging from a side road and failing to spot the cyclist (blocked by my A-pillar) waiting to turn right into my road. A shout from my passenger as I was about to pull out had me on the brakes and prevented a collision. I apologised profusely to the cyclist who seemed more perturbed by my repeated apologies than the incident itself. Nonetheless, it left me feeling sick at the mere thought of what might have happened.

As Montyveda rightly points out, the duty to check all blind spots is mine and I now move my head around a lot more, even saying out loud "Where's the cyclist?".

GC

MarkF

Guru
But the pillar - is it called the A-pillar? - between windscreen and side windows is a genuine blind spot, and that's where the cyclist was. But considerations of driver and passenger security allow for frontal blind spots at the expense of other, more vulnerable road users. I did see him but I saw him late and braked in time. I simply couldn't see him early. In my view, that's driver safety elevated above others safety. And it frightens me.

OT a bit............I drive a '98 Jeep, but it's a 1970's design. It's like sitting in a greenhouse, it has great visibility with slim pillars all around. When I drive a modern car which is not often, say, my mothers 2012 Suzuki Swift or I hire one, I find the blind spots scary, the A pillars being the worst culprit. I hired a Citroen Picasso in Spain and had to take it back, I found it too dangerous to drive, unless you had eyes like a hammerhead shark.............

9ed85dd80028c2a1fb484edcd32b0aa8.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
@MarkF , I think it is probably a bit off topic and it was mostly my fault for raising the subject of ''dangerous safety'' in car design on here. While the way we deal with danger is relevant to the OP's topic, it's too big for a sub-topic and I should really have started a new thread.

Stu9

Very interesting debate.....I too think it's up the person if they wear one or not and not up to organisations ect to tell you

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
It's likely because unlike in most of Europe, Our motorists are homicidal maniacs intent on killing us, so we need head protection !

Sums up my earlier point about victim blaming and placing responsibility on the vulnerable party quite well I think. The underlying attitude is that you personally have to make a token effort because others are unsafe.

MarkF

Guru
@MarkF , I think it is probably a bit off topic and it was mostly my fault for raising the subject of ''dangerous safety'' in car design on here. While the way we deal with danger is relevant to the OP's topic, it's too big for a sub-topic and I should really have started a new thread.

Sorry, got A pillar-mania at the mo'..............

Just ridden from Saltaire to home, 1.5 miles along the canal. I saw 6 riders, all were wearing helmets, 3 with hi-viz too.

It has always amused me the way that the insurance companies work

If you are hit by a car and fail to protect yourself then the fault is yours and your compensation can be reduced because of YOUR decision

Yet a driver who chooses a car that has a low pedestrian safety rating and knowingly chooses to inflict greater injury is not liable in the same way

classic33

Leg End Member
Insurance is just a bet, isn't it?. The bookies are the usual ragged spivs really. What I never quite understood is why I can't place a number of bets for the same insurance risk. Does anyone know why?
Have you tried to place such a bet?

Top Bottom