Why are used bikes so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Recently looked on eBay for a used cyclo-cross or gravel bike and instead of seeing a dozen Genesis Croix de Fers for 350-400 like I did a year ago, there's hardly anything listed. Other brands are listed with a selling price way above what they used to be.

Where are all the bikes and why aren't people selling them?

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe they are actually riding them? Maybe look again in January?
New bikes have perhaps got more expensive so people are changing less often? Maybe it's down to Brexit, global political uncertainty or people are embracing N+1 and adding to their fleet rather than downsizing or switching

Just buy a new bike from last year's range at a reduced price

I linked a £470 new CX bike being sold via sport pursuit the other day as an option

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Recently looked on eBay for a used cyclo-cross or gravel bike and instead of seeing a dozen Genesis Croix de Fers for 350-400 like I did a year ago, there's hardly anything listed. Other brands are listed with a selling price way above what they used to be.

Where are all the bikes and why aren't people selling them?
CX/Gravel bikes are 'en vogue' at the moment so sell at a premium.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If it's on eBay the seller's get a propper kicking with fees so by hiking up the price they hope to get the What I want price.

I think it's 10% of The sale plus the PayPal so a 300 quid buy will net the seller around 260 ish.
So if it goes for 370 he gets around 300 which is what he she wanted.

Nearly all sales are subject to a add on.
If you see a Its 50% off and we pay the vat you can gurantee the price was doubled and vat added..
It's called capitalism I believe..or rip off Britain..either way you pay if you want it.

Slick

Guru
I recently went looking on gumtree for a good second hand bike, and like you was surprised by how much they seemed to hold their value. So much so, when I went to the local bike shop to pick up some odds and sods, I bought a new bike at a good price just £150 more than the second hand bike I was considering.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think this seller is expecting a little too much for a 20 year old MTB... the Buy it Now price is the original selling price (although the seller claims £1500 in 95/96ish), and the minimum bid is about £150 more than they seem to go for.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They'll sell for what people are prepared to pay. Go too high and it won't shift.

pjd57

Veteran
I looked for ages.
Didn't want to spend too much as I wasn't sure how I would get on after years on a hybrid.
Second hand bikes were , too big, too wee, too old, too expensive, so I got the Voodoo Limba from Halfords.

Great so far.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Bikes are one of those things that don't take very much space to store, don't require any maintenance, and in theory you might jump on it this weekend, you know, if you can find a pump and you have time.

Compare that to cars which are the exact opposite, which is why you can pick up an old car for a fraction of it's original selling price.

Personally I always buy adult bikes new because if you plan to ride it a lot the warranty and subsequent goodwill from the shop may be worth the extra money.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I have previously always purchased second hand or on the C2W scheme, but I just bought my first every end of line/sale reduced bike and think the pricing compares favourably to the second hand bikes on Gumtree.

If you shop around carefully on Gumtree/eBay/Preloved/etc when new bikes are at full price, then you can find comparatively good value in the second hand market. Equally, if you shop around on Evans/LBS/Wiggle/Tredz/Etc when the bikes are reduced, then you can get good value brand new.

Basically - I think it's seasonal. Having said that, I do think that both second hand and new prices are rising. The price we have to pay for the weaker pound, I suppose.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A well looked after bike will always fetch good money no matter what time of the year its being sold

A lot of 2nd hand bikes are sold by people who just want them out of there shed or garage ?

I bought a new Fuji feather for £300 on sale, rode it to work a few times, decided it wasn't for me. Put it up on gumtree for £300, because, why not? Got a few silly offers, eventually sold it for £275, that said, I did fit a few upgrades, so I really lost about £60 all in, but was surprised how little it depreciated, even with a few scuffs and marks. It would have cost me more to hire a bike for 4 months!

Top Bottom