Why are used bikes so expensive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I recently saw an old Raleigh Equipe being sold at the local second hand bike shop for more than it cost 30 years ago.

I recently saw an old Raleigh Equipe being sold at the local second hand bike shop for more than it cost 30 years ago.

Yes, but don't forget to factor in inflation.

@fossyant , for example a new £300 bike in 87' would set you back £807.00 in today's money. However, vintage racers can increase in value due to their possible value as collectors items. Also, every man and their dog wants a classic racer for their fixie conversion, and for obvious reasons, they can be hard to find in good working condition.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It wasn't even a good condition Raleigh Equipe. And they were made with cheap components and gas pipe frames. Crazy money

U

User6179

I think this seller is expecting a little too much for a 20 year old MTB... the Buy it Now price is the original selling price (although the seller claims £1500 in 95/96ish), and the minimum bid is about £150 more than they seem to go for.

No way that bike was £1500 originally, I had the Elite version (triple butted aluminium, frame and fork £660 ) with the same kit, shimano stx-rc, FIR wheels, etc and that was just over a grand, I reckon £7-800 new at the most.

The fact that we get so much for a our money now show's us how much we benefit from globalisation, i.e. cheap Chinese steel and Taiwan labour these days brings down the cost what would otherwise be luxury goods.

If the bike sells in that condition at the price you saw it at, it's because the buyer wants a piece of history, not a functional bike, that, or they have more money than sense!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No way that bike was £1500 originally, I had the Elite version (triple butted aluminium, frame and fork £660 ) with the same kit, shimano stx-rc, FIR wheels, etc and that was just over a grand, I reckon £7-800 new at the most.
Totally agree.
I bought mine 2nd hand for £300 seventeen years ago. The seller gave me his original receipt so i could use it for insurance and it cost £700 in '97.

Alan O

Über Member
Most of the decent vintage steel bikes from my era that I see on eBay typically sell for silly low prices - which I'm happy about, having bought a couple of frames that way.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
It wasn't even a good condition Raleigh Equipe. And they were made with cheap components and gas pipe frames. Crazy money
I spent around £500 turning my Equipe into a decent bike,

002.JPG

Don't knock those 18-20 frames, they ride lovely

I paid around £70 for my Peugeot Equipe. The paint work is immaculate and it rides like clockwork. I,ve covered over 3k on it and have travelled far and wide without any major problems. Out of anything ive ever bought , this bike has to be the best smiles for miles ive ever bought :-)

Last edited:

montroseloon

Always worth joining a few local selling groups on Facebook, I picked up my first road bike on there, maybe not the bargain of the year but a good bike for the price

Top Bottom