Why can't I buy tripe nowadays ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
One of those dishes from the sixties and seventies, quite popular back then, mainly among the tiresome lower orders maybe because it was cheap?
Now considered rather yukky. Something else with similar connotations is tongue which I rather like.

I am vintage 1947, my grandparents and parents ate it, I never did.

Blimey, that's a blast from the past. I remember the shops in and around Manchester.

Our head cook was a very kind woman, covered by a brusque manner, and many was the 'old tramp' (often WW veterans who'd never 'recovered' from whatever it was that ailed them) who came to the back door at certain times and in certain seasons for a good meal, and more. They trusted her. This was before the days of charity shops et al, and she would always have a big carrier bag full of well-darned socks, outgrown/unused-but-mended working/walking boots, and worn but mended/laundered men's clothes and underwear, behind the back door where deliveries were made. I can't remember her name but I do remember her kindness. It shone out of her even when she had a sour expression dealing with all us useless Saturday and school-holiday helpers.

ETA when she picked up that I was from a family a wee bit more well-off than most of the other Saturday girls, she took me to one side (the others thought I was getting into trouble - and so did I at first!) and asked me to ask my family for any mens clothes in good condition. I took her a LOT of stuff as my mum and aunties were happy to have a good reason to 'make' their husbands update their wardrobes a bit. As only one of them was a manual worker, their clothes in general didn't 'wear out'.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I had this as 'why can't I type nowadays?' and was about to agree vociferously as my triping days are beset by mistakes and auto-corrected words that I hadn't triped in the first place....

Mrs M

Guru
Oscar’s dinner this evening xx(
Wolfed it down.
Face mask comes in handy when serving up this “delicacy” :smile:

Top Bottom