Why do bike bells stop working when they get wet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@Pat "5mph" I wouldn’t pay attention to many of the suggestions upthread.

What you need is a diving bell.
*groan*
:biggrin:

classic33

Leg End Member
"But even so, some bell properties might influence:

• Steel is denser than aluminum, so a similar-sized steel bell should have more mass and ring longer;

Bigger rings might also ring longer because of the relation among size mass, wall-thickness, and frequency pitch.

Try mounting the bell at an angle on the handlebars. You'll end up with only one part of the bell lower than the rest, with a minimal surface area for the water to adhere to without gravity coming to your aid.

Tenkaykev

Guru
"But even so, some bell properties might influence:

• Steel is denser than aluminum, so a similar-sized steel bell should have more mass and ring longer;

Bigger rings might also ring longer because of the relation among size mass, wall-thickness, and frequency pitch.

Try mounting the bell at an angle on the handlebars. You'll end up with only one part of the bell lower than the rest, with a minimal surface area for the water to adhere to without gravity coming to your aid.

Or better still, modify a cocktail umbrella using clear varnish to make it waterproof and mount it over the bell to protect it from the elements.
An elegant and colourful solution. ;-)

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Or better still, modify a cocktail umbrella using clear varnish to make it waterproof and mount it over the bell to protect it from the elements.

The bell would get wet underneath? Same results?
6 and half a dozen here!

The bell would get wet underneath? Same results?
6 and half a dozen here!

Possibly. Some kind of windscreen arrangement may be in order.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Horns are great if used occasionally on a wired up, oblivious pedestrian, or during critical mass .... I fear they are not polite though :smile:
My most effective ever "get out of the way" audible warning was a carefully cultivated rear brake, that would squeal very loudly whilst providing a minimum amount of retardation. The cultivation consisted of the occasional oily fingerprint, and the pedestrians (in Cambridge) were mostly those who stepped off the pavement to pass another pedestrian, with their backs to the traffic. They certainly got back on the pavement pretty sharpish.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd have thought it's simply the layer of water/moisture damping the transmission of the sound. Dunno if that's right but I can't think of anything else.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, I've got one, and it works really well. It's loud. Do you want it?

Thanks for the hooter Mike :hello:

Arrived this a.m.

Not only is it really loud, it also has a wonderful patina of rust spots, dents, and 'been about a bit' character.

- not complaining at all - just looks like it might have an interesting backstory.

I'm planning on redoing the Devon C to C in a few weeks time - and there's a lot of shared cycle-path along its route - Tarka Trail, Camel and Granite Way etc etc
Which is great of course because its off - road . But it does also mean you get a lot of care-free dog walkers.

I have a feeling my new device will make things even more fun!!

Appreciation once more ... :smile:

p.s. you haven't invoiced me yet

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Glad it arrived OK, and yeah, it isn't pristine. Mainly from kicking around various bike sheds for the last 20+ years.

Less than £3. It isn't worth generating the paperwork. ;)

Cool -

Well, I'll put £4 into the collection box for "The Home for Retired Bike Mechanics" to cover P&P

:okay:

Top Bottom