Why do cars horn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
Horn is a verb.
View attachment 363508

I'm not sure which sense is being used above, though
(thank you Oxford Dictionary)
The OP's usage is intransitive though, so that looks like a novel feature that has so far escaped the OED. I have an idea from memory that 'to horn' in this sense might be common in some non-UK Englishes, maybe Indian English, but I haven't been able to back that up with a few moments googling so don't quote me on it.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Why do nouns verb?
I always assumed it was an annoying Americanism, but I noticed last week that even the BBC verbed "Gift".

The OP's usage is intransitive though, so that looks like a novel feature that has so far escaped the OED. I have an idea from memory that 'to horn' in this sense might be common in some non-UK Englishes, maybe Indian English, but I haven't been able to back that up with a few moments googling so don't quote me on it.
I'd say "horn in on a conversation", so I guess that's part of Australian (and USA) English.

Tim Hall

Why do nouns verb?
so gay?
And lovers await the break of day?
Why do they fall in love?
Why does the rain fall from above?
Why do fools fall in love?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Why are you blaming the poor car?

Why do drivers use their horns so much? I believe that it's partly because driving is sold as a dream of open roads and freedom, and turns out to be a series of stopping for lights and being stuck in traffic jams. The disappointment leads to anger and shouting, especially at more vulnerable people who are unlikely to shout back, is a common method for people to vent their anger. The car's horn is used as a substitute for their own cries of frustration.

Or they're just nobbers :biggrin:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The drivers have got into a habit of blasting there horns to alert me because they can't be bothered to get out of there vehicle's and press the intercom button.
JOOI why isn't it an intercom with IR activation and/or mounted at cab height?

Were you home sick they day they taught grammar?
No, I was taught near enough to where I lived, plus I wasn't born when my nan went to school ;)

Without it you couldn't hammer a nail, paper a wall, book a ticket, table a motion,
IIRC "table a motion" has near-opposite meanings in different countries.

MikeG

Guru
He "corrected" my statement that the dictionary entry proved the was a verb "horn", when he apparently doesn't understand how verbs (or dictionaries) work. I think that makes him fair game.

If you don't anything about a subject, it's ok to say nothing.

Why are you talking about me in the third person? And rather than take the point that correcting me could be done without personal comment, you add another couple here for good measure.

I was wrong, and you were perfectly right to point out I was wrong. However, there was simply no need to get personal about it in the way you did. My original comment contained no such snide-ness. So, as you choose to defend ill manners rather than just move on, and as I have a low tolerance of boorish and ill mannered interlocutors, I'll simply adjust my forum settings and continue to enjoy the company of those capable of civil discourse. Cheerio.

Top Bottom