Why do I crave salt after rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hippygirl

Hi there! I'm new to this site and was wondering if you guys could help me. After I ride, I average 20 miles per ride, I crave salt for a day or two. Sometimes, when the craving is bad and I ride the next day, I seem to bonk faster. I drink plenty of water before, during and after my rides. Any thoughts?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Do you sweat a lot ? Maybe its your body tryig to replace lost electrolytes , if i dont use the tabs in my water on long rides i tend to get cramp even if i use energy powder mix .
There are plenty about to choose from , i use high 5 neutral as i find anything with a citrus taste doesnt sit right on my stomach
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CMiq0KLq0c4CFVXGGwod9XMJ0A&gclsrc=aw.ds

AM1

Hi there! I'm new to this site and was wondering if you guys could help me. After I ride, I average 20 miles per ride, I crave salt for a day or two. Sometimes, when the craving is bad and I ride the next day, I seem to bonk faster. I drink plenty of water before, during and after my rides. Any thoughts?

You seem to bonk faster??? :eek:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yeah if it's a warm day you're likely to be losing sodium through sweating, I'd try just popping an electrolyte tab into your water, if you're not needing carbohydrate then something like High5 zero. Give that a try. Some put a pinch of salt in their water but I'm not quite that masochistic.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Bag of crisps when out or after the ride ... In fact any excuse to eat crisps is OK by me ....
This thread was enough to make me crack open a packet.

OP
OP
Hippygirl

Hippygirl

Do you sweat a lot ? Maybe its your body tryig to replace lost electrolytes , if i dont use the tabs in my water on long rides i tend to get cramp even if i use energy powder mix .
There are plenty about to choose from , i use high 5 neutral as i find anything with a citrus taste doesnt sit right on my stomach
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=CMiq0KLq0c4CFVXGGwod9XMJ0A&gclsrc=aw.ds
I do sweat quite a bit, yes. I had both my hips replaced last year and getting back in the swing has been more of an issue as far as balancing my nutrition. I feel like after a hot ride, I'm just missing something. Thanks for the tip. I'll try these.

Top Bottom